Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any other phones with DCI 4K recording besides Oneplus?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Not sure at who this question is aimed at but in my case apart from my own second hand Oneplus I've made me mum buy a Xiaomi and my girlfriend a Huawei. Myself I've become interested in the LG V30 since yesterday. Has about all I want from a video phone apart from the DCI recording. It gives full camera control right out of the box and it has two lenses one regular and one wide angle which can both shoot very crisp 4K. And apparently it also has that LOG stuff I've made another thread about which seems to be all the craze these days.

I wonder if there's any custom modded roms out there that give DCI capabilities to other phones... Have been looking at that as well but as far as I could find I could only find that been done for the Oneplus X but in theory it should work for any phone as long as the sensor is big enough right?
    The question was directed at you both (seeing as we are pretty much the only ones talking here at the moment).
    The LG sounds interesting.

I have had a lot of bad experiences with the Huawei phones. I bought their top model for my mom and within a year it had serious connection issues where even tho her phone was on, with full bars, no one could reach her (when calling here it just said - phone is off or out of cell service). Then i replaced that one with the next gen model - same issue within 12 months. Replaced that one again - Same issue withing a couple of months.
    After that i got her a Samsung and no problems so far.

I am not sure you can mod a camera phone to output DCI 4K. Not unless the sensor would support that. As you said.
    But even then, that would be a phone specific mod and i don't think you would find anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    The question was directed at you both (seeing as we are pretty much the only ones talking here at the moment).
    The LG sounds interesting.

I have had a lot of bad experiences with the Huawei phones. I bought their top model for my mom and within a year it had serious connection issues where even tho her phone was on, with full bars, no one could reach her (when calling here it just said - phone is off or out of cell service). Then i replaced that one with the next gen model - same issue within 12 months. Replaced that one again - Same issue withing a couple of months.
    After that i got her a Samsung and no problems so far.

I am not sure you can mod a camera phone to output DCI 4K. Not unless the sensor would support that. As you said.
    But even then, that would be a phone specific mod and i don't think you would find anything like that.
    Hmmm well I suppose there's always chance of issues.
    I've had a lot of friends that had issues with LG electronics in general but definitely also their phones from a few years back (around 2012-2014)
    I also know someone who had a battery issue with his Galaxy 1 or 2 and his Samsung TV gave up after half a year so that drove him away from Samsung...
    Generally it just takes one or two incidents to drive people away Maybe we've just been lucky with the Huawei we've got.

In regards to the phone specific mods, the most custom roms are phone specific. I think the largest ROM community is over at XDA-developers.com
    The cats are watching us...

3. Default

Going away from Samsung
    I despise Apple as a company. I'm not their target user at all. Had to use Macs at design school so I'm familiar enough with their products. I just flat out don't like them.

I liked Samsung because of solid hardware and no bloatware. But that is in the past now. The hardware is subpar in terms of functionality (screens crack easy, button layout is poor) and the Samsung software is getting more aggressive.

Where next? Haven't reviewed. Just got S8+ a few months back so I'm staying with this for a couple of years. But my instinct is probably Google or LG. Whoever has solid hardware with minimal bloatware.

I'm not too worried about the cameras. I'm not a pixel peeper but I am a sensor size snob. Until they make a camera with a sensor that's at least 1/2.5" I'm not going to be able to care about the camera on it. A $99 Canon Digital Elph will run circles on any camera phone for pics. I am impressed with iPhone's video processing. In video the smartphones have an advantage because they are mini computers with a lot of processing power, so they can do image stabilization, color and light corrections while recording. Still, if I'm shooting video I'd rather think ahead and grab one of the DSLR bodies, and in a pinch the S8+ will do for personal stuff.

OP,
    In post: why not crop the UHD video to a DCI ratio, then stretch the image to DCI? Since the source is a phone's sensor, I don't imagine a 10%- or so stretch would affect the quality in a noticeable way.

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    In post: why not crop the UHD video to a DCI ratio, then stretch the image to DCI? Since the source is a phone's sensor, I don't imagine a 10%- or so stretch would affect the quality in a noticeable way.
    Yeah that works too indeed. I think I should give the whole DCI a rest on the phone and simply accept UHD there. I'll probably save up for that new Blackmagic release at the end of the year.... hope they'll have it at IBC so I can see it in real life first.
    The cats are watching us...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12