Thread: Complete beginner wants to put music on youtube.

Default Complete beginner wants to put music on youtube.

Hi All

Complete beginner here so sorry if this is a stupid question. I want to put some of my music on youtube with a few photos that fade in and out, so very simple requirements. Is there any free editing software that allows me to do this. I downloaded a few last night that said they were free but once you try to do an upload to You Tube ask you to buy the premium edition. This is something I only intend to do 2-3 times so didn't really want to buy software.

I originally put this in how do I do this.

[Moved back to "How do i do this" as this is makes more sense here- Mod.]
    Last edited by TimStannard; 06-01-2018 at 04:50 PM.

iMovie is free for your iPhone - just download it from the App Store and you can do what you want - the “Bruce Willis” (or whoever) photo transitions are signature

Actually your question doesn’t make sense because you can just save your movie from whatever software and upload the resulting file (hopefully mp4) to YouTube yourself - the automated upload feature of NLEs is just a bell and whistle

i think you could even use Windows movie maker but don’t tell anybody I said that or I’ll lose all my reputation points

do you have a YouTube (google) account? You’ll need a google account - if you don’t want to sign up then stop reading here

make your movie - export it to a file, ideally mp4 - go to the YouTube web page - log in - upload your file

if you are on an iOS or adenoid phone, same thing but go to the YouTube app instead of the YouTube web page

Blog Entries

If you don't want to do it on a phone (and I can totally understand that - tiny screen, never managed it myself), HitFilm Express and DaVinci Resolve are both free for PC and Mac. Total overkill for what you're after, but if your computer can handle the programs, why not?
    Tim

Those are free and great for sure

they may not export automatically to YouTube like iMovie does, but it doesn’t matter because you can save an mp4 onto your disk and then upload it to YouTube

On Windows the Photos App lets you make simple videos:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/using...0-video-editor

On Mac iMovie is pretty good:
    https://www.apple.com/imovie/

If you want something with more power and don't mind spending a few hours learning advanced software, then free Davinci Resolve is a serious editor (albeit pretty nerfed in terms of features, so short of comparable with pro software):
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

BTW, the old Windows Movie Maker from the mid 2000s was solid (I think version 6). I got it running again in Win10 but it won't load files. I believe the latest version of Windows Movie Maker has been discontinued. For reference only:
    https://movies.blainesville.com/p/wm...windows-7.html

Thanks for all of your replies. I do have a google account and had managed to upload a small file, but that was just for music and one photo and also had a size restriction. The editor I was trying to use was NCH video pad which seemed very restrictive when saving and would not allow me to save to MP4. I check out the others mentioned and see if that does the job. Thanks again for your advice.