Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of camera to meet my requirements ?

1. Default

Tim,
    RE: iPhone remote
    https://amzn.to/2km88f1

They do have various adapters, clickers and such. Usually via WIFI or bluetooth. Going with a smartphone also lets you use paid apps to take over the camera, and those can open a world of possibilities, like shooting in 4k with log styles.

Xenox,
    RE: Android instead of iPhone
    Look for the best camera out there. I default to recommending iPhone because Apple takes their camera very seriously. If you want to use Android just do some research and find a phone that also takes their camera very seriously. I have a Galaxy s8 and it is nice, in some circumstances very nice, but the quality is a notch below the equivalent iPhone.

Re: Lighting
    If you want to know if you have enough light in your current situation, just use your current smartphone to record a short clip, then watch it full size on the computer. If the noise is unacceptable and/or the picture looks choppy (delayed), you need more light.

Light is not optional in video/photography. The sensor is trying to capture light. Bite that bullet as soon as possible or you'll be struggling uphill forever.
    If you are filming in a known environment, just figure out how to add more pleasant light. Your choice of high-CRI CFL or LED bulbs on any kind of lamps, or LED lights with battery packs on stands or counter tops. I recommend no less than 400watt equivalent to do anything, but 1000 watt equivalent is about what's needed for solid lighting of one subject.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Does an iPhone have the facility for remote start/stop?
    Surely you can only view yourself if you are the subject using the "selfie" (lesser quality) camera?

iPhone otherwise ticks the boxes.
    Yes via Bluetooth .
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

One VERY important thing ! If low light level performance is important to you ,and you say it is ... camera manufacturers have been using "good low light performance," in their advertising for years ... EVERY camera I ever owned, and that includes DSLR compact cameras video cameras and latest generation smart phone ...unless used with suplmentory lighting has had mediocre low light performance. You WILL require additional lighting unless you spend BIG money on a camera.
    Last edited by enc; 05-24-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Yes via Bluetooth .
    Is that the answer to both questions or just my first? (I suspect a Bluetooth monitor might struggle a bit, but engineers often achieve the seemingly impossible)
    Tim

5. Default

Tim,

Wireless screen adapter for smart phones - fits all models, so you can use the front camera and also see yourself:
    https://amzn.to/2IHPIjm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    Tim,

Wireless screen adapter for smart phones - fits all models, so you can use the front camera and also see yourself:
    https://amzn.to/2IHPIjm
    I tried one of those, but it just showed the ceiling
    Tim

7. Default

Gotta wait for the firmware update.

I only have experience to the stop start via Bluetooth.
    The best £5 I've spent in years was a recent eBay purchase. A selfie stick with blue tooth remote start stop module.
    Had to do a bit of tweaking to the actual pole/clamp section to make it more robust but a bargain all the same.

I was at a photoshoot a few weeks ago

the photographer lady brought out some lights that looked and felt like the sun

the pictures turned out amazing

she had blue hair and was covered in tats - but really knew her stuff and said that you basically need to “light the shit out of it”

she was bigger than me so I agreed wholeheartedly

just light the shit out of it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12