Thread: A video about a Tree

Default A video about a Tree

Newbie here. I've made home music videos for my family for years now using Adobe Premier and Photoshop. My latest work was done for my inlaws. My wifes father past away last October and I planted a tree in our backyard to remember him. I then decided to make a tribute video for the family in his honor. The family loves it of course, but I never share these things with others and thought I'd get some feed back from people that don't know me. It's basically a short music video about a tree. I do have copyrighted music in the video, I hope I'm not breaking any rules here. Youtube is ok with it. I'm not looking to make any money on these things. I just like to capture lifes moments with a good sound track. How did I do?

Blog Entries

Well, that certainly kept me watching. Very surreal and nice to see something that is unashamedly "video" rather than trying to be "cinema". I found it very sympathetically cut to the music and, although often odd, I rather liked the different methods you used for compositing the shots. I'm not sure I'd describe it as a music video "about" a tree, more a video with a tree as its central character (although the central character is Bob). I thought his golf grip was rather "weak", I'm guessing he played off a handicap somewhere in the mid to high teens.
    Tim

Lol about the golf comment. Thanks for your input! I do find myself gravitating toward the "odd" side of things. Just in my nature. I don't have a quality camera so the entire thing was done with my phone, security cameras, and a drone. The last shot with the stars in the background was my first attempt with after effects and changing the boring blue sky in the background. Thanks again I appreciate it.

Nice tribute!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Well, that certainly kept me watching. Very surreal and nice to see something that is unashamedly "video" rather than trying to be "cinema". I found it very sympathetically cut to the music and, although often odd, I rather liked the different methods you used for compositing the shots. I'm not sure I'd describe it as a music video "about" a tree, more a video with a tree as its central character (although the central character is Bob). I thought his golf grip was rather "weak", I'm guessing he played off a handicap somewhere in the mid to high teens.
    I disagree with Tim - I think your piece definitely qualifies as cinema - good job

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I disagree with Tim - I think your piece definitely qualifies as cinema - good job
    I should have been clearer. I was referring to the so called "cinematic look" that everyone seems to be after - shallow DoF, slow frame rate, slightly grainy look.
    Tim

The style sort of reminds me of a 90's music video though I can't really remember which one (or maybe I'm thinking of more than one that have all blended together in my mind). Lovely piece, nice cuts, interesting shots. I really like the shot where you start with the lady on the bench and move backward around 1:23. I also really dig the "cinemagraph" like stuff you did more towards the end. Especially the fountain 3:19 has me wondering how you did that. Did you mask off everything that's not water and then warp the water to mimic flow or did you cut out the original water and replace it with a video?
    The cats are watching us...

Thanks for the comments!

Grapes, I used photoshop to animate all the photos. Water is the easiest to do. You basically break up the picture into several layers and isolate the water, then use transform to stretch the water the direction you want it to flow. Gives it the look of movement. For that particular picture there were 2 water layers, one for the water fall and one for the pool of water.

I learned how to do that affect via tutorials on youtube. Here's a pretty good one if you want to check it out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw07wyP3qm4

Ah nice one, I've never done animation with photoshop myself but I'm willing to give it a try now
    The cats are watching us...