Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Video Editing Software

Default Looking for Video Editing Software

Hi I am looking for video editing software that allows me to trim bits out of a film and also allows me to use slow motion on other parts of a film while keeping it all as the same film, for example if I wanted to cut out all the filler of marvels Doctor Strange and leave just the fight scenes while also slowing some of those fight scenes down. Does anyone know of any free or paid software that allows these sort of effects and features?

2. Default

Any software can do all those things, but in case you did not know - for the most part you can not slow down footage that is already at 24 fps without ruining it (it will look choppy and be unwatchable). The max you can pull of is like 10% - 15% slower but the slow-mo will not be noticeable yet the stutter will be subconsciously or even consciously.
    If you plan to use a movie then it will most likely be at 24 fps (frames or images per second). Slowing something down means that you take those 24 frames or images in 1 second and stretch them to 2 seconds or 3 seconds etc, but that also means that now you will have only 12 frames in 1 second. The problem is that your timeline where you make those changes will be at 24 fps (frames in 1 second). You see the math problem here? You will have empty frames that will cause a stutter effect.

Of course editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro has built in mechanics to try to SOMEWHAT fill those empty gaps (frames) but it is nowhere near a quality result.

The only way you could slow a clip down is if it's at least 50 or 60 fps. Then you have room for 50% slow motion.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Any software can do all those things, but in case you did not know - for the most part you can not slow down footage that is already at 24 fps without ruining it (it will look choppy and be unwatchable). The max you can pull of is like 10% - 15% slower but the slow-mo will not be noticeable yet the stutter will be subconsciously or even consciously.
    If you plan to use a movie then it will most likely be at 24 fps (frames or images per second). Slowing something down means that you take those 24 frames or images in 1 second and stretch them to 2 seconds or 3 seconds etc, but that also means that now you will have only 12 frames in 1 second. The problem is that your timeline where you make those changes will be at 24 fps (frames in 1 second). You see the math problem here? You will have empty frames that will cause a stutter effect.

Of course editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro has built in mechanics to try to SOMEWHAT fill those empty gaps (frames) but it is nowhere near a quality result.

The only way you could slow a clip down is if it's at least 50 or 60 fps. Then you have room for 50% slow motion.
    So what software would you recommend? Are there any good free programs or would I have to purchase one?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaiato View Post
    So what software would you recommend? Are there any good free programs or would I have to purchase one?
    If it's a one off project I'd use the trial version of Adobe Premiere.
    The cats are watching us...

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Zaiato View Post
    Here is how i see it. There are many that are free (just google Free editing software) and many payed programs out there, but none of that matters if you don't know how to use the software to do what you had planned.
    So the best way would be to pick a software that is widely used and has a ton of YouTube tutorials on any subject that you would need.

I have to agree with Grapes here - if this is a one time project, go get the Adobe Premiere Pro trial. ( https://www.adobe.com/products/premi...-download.html )
    If you plan to do more then one project and don't really want to spend any money on software - get Davinci Resolve ( https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/ )

Both will have plenty on tutorials and both are premium grade.

Blog Entries

I would add to that list HitFilm Express as it is free (like Resolve) but simpler to learn and there are plenty of tutorials.
    Tim

Two points to add:

dont use windows movie maker
    dont use dr strange or any other copyrighted material - just capture something with your phone and it will be just as good

I've been playing around with Premier for the better part of a decade and I really think its the way to go. You can rent it per month and its worth every cent.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    If it's a one off project I'd use the trial version of Adobe Premiere.
    I plan to do many projects is Adobe Premiere good? And I assume it has the features I specified.

Im a bit biased because its the only software I know, but I do believe its the software of choice from most professionals. You are only limited by your imagination with Premier as it will do almost anything but does take some time to learn it. The other nice thing is the compatibility with all the other Adobe products like After Effects and Photoshop. You can switch back and forth between them easily. You rent adobe products by the month and you can do it without a contract which is really nice. Whenever I start something up I just rent it for a month or 2 and then cancel when Im done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast