Thread: Syncing to the beat

Question Syncing to the beat

Hey everyone!

Ive got a bit of a strange request and hope someone can help me out. I've looked everywhere and cant seem to find a solution.

TLDR on bottom:

Basically I want to edit around 50 minutes worth of music to random clips that have been filmed. I have hours worth of footage and wanted to make an almost slideshow like video that matches random clips to the beat. I have read about adding markers to the music on FCP and thats fine but then I was wondering if there was a way for the program to pull a random clip from the footage and add it to the timeline.

For example...if I have 10 songs playing one after another, then on each beat or every 4th beat, the application will add a random clip from the footage that I have available.

I can do this manually by adding all the music to my timeline then going though each video clip and dragging around 3 seconds of a clip to the audio, but it would take days to complete and it's just for a fun project. I have also seen that VDMX may be a good option to achieve what I want but I don't have the software and I'm not too familiar with it.

It is hard to explain exactly what I mean over text but I hope you have an idea of what i'm talking about.

Similar to this video at the begging, but just random clips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2eXk0oLFQs

TLDR:
    Got a lot of songs
    Got a lot of footage
    Want to sync random clips from the footage to the beat.

Thank you for reading and thanks for any help in advance.

Blog Entries

To be honest, you'll end up with something totally uninspiring.
    1. If you change clips at regular intervals you'll end up with a hypnotic/soporific effect - presumably not what you are trying to achieve. Cutting to the beat is about cutting on different beats, sometimes on the first beat of a bar, sometimes on others, sometimes leaving a couple of bars between cuts. It's about what works for the clips and works for the music. Pinnacle Studio has (or at leats used to have when I used it) something that would broadly do this, but even that did not cut on the same beat every time.

2. Editing is about choosing clips that work together in a sequence (the same is true of a slideshow). Software can't do that (at least, not software available to the likes of us mere mortals)
    Tim