Thread: PowerDirector - trimming sync'd video

Default PowerDirector - trimming sync'd video

Hi, I have just started using PowerDirector 16, and it seems more than adequate for everything I want to do, with one odd exception - I'm sure I'm missing a trick. I'm not sure if this issue is peculiar to PowerDirector or applies to other software too.

I can click to 'trim' a video - nice UI for selecting when the clip comes in and out of the original video, and I can 'sync to audio', aligning a video with an independently recorded audio track. But I can't do both!

If I sync a video and an audio track, if I then trim the video, the audio won't follow. I can detach and delete the original audio from the video then use 'link video and audio' to bond the new audio to the old video, the trim option is not then available (I guess because you can't trim a group).

I can't see any logical reason for this limitation. If I 'link video to audio' I can then drag the composite object to be shorter in the timelime, which is effectively trimming but without the nice user interface, and that works.

I can trim the original video and write down the 'in' and 'out times', then do the sync to audio, link them and calculate what I need to cut out of the joined object, but that's quite fiddly. I tend to record clapping at the beginning of clips and it seems the 'sync to audio' relies on that. When I've tried trimming the video then syncing to audio, it's failed to sync probably because the talking parts are too different from each source.

I have in the past 'cheated' and do the thing you're not supposed to do - sync the video/audio then save the result as a new avi file. When that's included in the project, trim works fine, but with potential loss from re-encoding.

Am I missing something obvious or is this a gap in the functionality?

Thanks,
    Oli

A few things:

I use Power Director. Great tool but can be a bit finicky. In terms of bugs and smoothness of operation it is not as polished as something like Premiere, so save often and don't be afraid to try to do things in different ways until you learn patterns that work.

Re: I have in the past 'cheated' and do the thing you're not supposed to do - sync the video/audio then save the result as a new avi file

That's not cheating at all. If you noticed, Power Director (up to 15, haven't tried 16) has a weird default behavior of re-importing all your exports into the current project. I think they mean for you to use it this way, export to merge and bring it back to continue your edit.

IMO, in the Power Director world it makes a ton of sense to simplify sometimes. I would say projects that run longer than 20mins nearly demand that you export some things to simplify or you'll start hitting walls. Your experience may vary depending on your PC and driver ecosystem. My old Win7 Intel PC used to crash often (video driver problems). My new Win10 AMD PC holds well, but I haven't pushed its limits yet.

So, export in high res or the exact same res your final version will be. If Power Director sees that the file is in the same format and specs as the next export, it probably won't have to reencode and just use your file as is. Not a guarantee and it depends on if you end up using more effects and what not, but in general exporting and re-importing may not necessarily result in any degradation at all.

RE: If I sync a video and an audio track, if I then trim the video, the audio won't follow

You mean when trimming using the trim dialog. I don't use that feature so I can't comment. I'm also not big on the auto audio sync. I get annoyed trying to figure out how it works and waiting for it to do its calculations. I got used to working with the timeline so all cutting and lining-up I do in the timeline view.

I'll zoom and match the audio clips by looking at the clap audio spikes (like you have in your audio). Once that's done I'll do all my cutting in line with the tracks. No need for the trim UI, and much faster.

I know this doesn't answer your question. You can also try the PowerDirector forum. They'll have more experienced users for that particular software.

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    That's not cheating at all. If you noticed, Power Director (up to 15, haven't tried 16) has a weird default behavior of re-importing all your exports into the current project. I think they mean for you to use it this way, export to merge and bring it back to continue your edit.
    Ah yes, I've read about this SVRT feature of writing out the bits of input video without change where possible. So you're right, I shouldn't fear saving partial edits as MP4 and using them as source material.

Thanks for the tip!
    Oli