Thread: No mp4 thumbnails when connecting Win7 to phone via USB

1. Default No mp4 thumbnails when connecting Win7 to phone via USB

Can anyone provide a solution for this problem...

I'm connecting my BQ phone (Android 7.1) to Windows 7 via USB cable with the intention of moving selected videos from the phone to my hard drive.
    However, the mp4 files display as program icons (Eg VLC or SW Player - whatever is associated), not image thumbnails.
    This makes it impossible to select which videos I should move from my phone.
    I also have K-Lite installed in Win7, incidentally. The phone can be connected as MTP or PTP.

Thanks for any information about this issue.
    Last edited by -Anti-; 04-21-2018 at 03:28 PM.

As far as I know from personal experience some times it's not possible for windows to give you the video thumbnail when the video is on a certain phone. My solution was to simply copy everything first and when they where on my HDD I could see the thumbnails and delete the ones I didn't want afterwards. In any case I'd use MTP, that has so far never let me down.
    The cats are watching us...

3. Default

Thanks for the confirmation. I spent all day yesterday on this, but couldn't make any headway.

The most confusing thing is that some of the images DO display thumbnails. When connected to my phone, in their right-click Windows properties dialogue they have a tab called 'resources' where I can see the thumbnail. However, I have no idea how the thumbnail got created and ended up there, or why 80% of the rest of my images don't have this 'resource' attached/embedded. It's so maddening!

Quote Originally Posted by -Anti- View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation. I spent all day yesterday on this, but couldn't make any headway.

The most confusing thing is that some of the images DO display thumbnails. When connected to my phone, in their right-click Windows properties dialogue they have a tab called 'resources' where I can see the thumbnail. However, I have no idea how the thumbnail got created and ended up there, or why 80% of the rest of my images don't have this 'resource' attached/embedded. It's so maddening!
    Yeah but in my case it was different for images, I could see the image thumbs but not the vid ones. I think it might be a Win 7 thing actually.

5. Default

> I think it might be a Win 7 thing actually

I think the reason why some of my phone images don't have the thumbnails created and embedded (which Windows uses rather than generating its own) might be due to an older version of Android, and a subsequent update fixed it (ie. going from v6.x to v7.x).

I think Windows 7 Home doesn't generate thumbnails over network because it saves bandwidth/time. I tried a registry hack to enable it, but it didn't work. In other versions of Win7, you can change a policy to force thumbs over network. I don't know if this would include video thumbnails though.

I hate losing battles with computers. I don't really understand how the team of coders working on the Windows and Android MTP/PTP functionality could be doing all their intricate planning, and not one of them said 'Hmm, if a user is browsing files on a device from Windows, maybe we should make it so that they can see what the hell they are browsing without having to open each file?' Insane.
    Last edited by -Anti-; 04-22-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Anti- View Post
    >I don't really understand how the team of coders working on the Windows and Android MTP/PTP functionality could be doing all their intricate planning, and not one of them said 'Hmm, if a user if browsing files on a device from Windows, maybe we should make it so that they can see what the hell they are browsing without having to open each file?' Insane.
    That's one of life's big mysteries I'm afraid