Thread: Looking for help

1. Default Looking for help

HI, I am totally new toediting so would like some advice please.

I have a load of footage from my Panasoniccamcorder and would like to make movies out the holidays we have taken over theyears.

My questions are:

I think have the raw files taken form the cam,these are in folder called PRG00A, PRG00C etc etc, within these folders arefiles called .MOD and .MOI, there are a lot in each folder.
    Can these files be edited?

I also have files which think are the importedones from the camcorder, these are mpg, mtd and mtv files, can these be edited?and are these better for editing than the MOD files?

Also i would like any recommendations for freeto use software, i have looked at a few but not sure if they can edit thesesfiles.

Thanks for your help

Regarding .mod + .moi files (SD files from old Canon/JVC/Panasonic camcorders), read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOD_and_TOD. I use(d) the freeware SDcopy successfully for years to import them to computer and then to a video editing software.
    http://www.intelligentecommerce.com/freetools.htm has a working download link with short advice on what SDcopy does.

As far as I know the MPG files are the only ones you need to worry about and you can delete the rest. Check the file sizes. The big ones are the video files.

In regards to free editing software there's always iMovie and Windows Movie Maker
    The cats are watching us...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    As far as I know the MPG files are the only ones you need to worry about and you can delete the rest. Check the file sizes. The big ones are the video files.

In regards to free editing software there's always iMovie and Windows Movie Maker
    Hi thanks for response.
    So you are saying all I need to keep is the .mpg file? and I can edit these files in free editing software? I can delete the .mtd and .mtv files?

5. Default

Sorry guys I did say I was a total newbie.

Am I right in thinking I can edit both file types? mpg and MOV files?
    If so which is the best to edit or doesn't it make any difference?

Thanks

MPG and MOV are both video formats the tricky thing about them is that you can't tell the quality from the file extension. You can see them as containers, e.g. one is blue, the other green and both hold your film collection but one holds them on DVD's and the other one on VHS and the only way to tell which is which is to open them up
    This also means that a MPG container can just as well hold high quality files as low quality files, same goes for MOV (in practice there are some containers that are better suited for higher quality but I wouldn't worry too much about that at your current knowledge level, you'll get to that when you need to)

You need to check the file details (as in, have a peek inside the container). If you're on a windows system you can see the frame dimensions in explorer:
    https://superuser.com/questions/6376...les-resolution
    If you're on an Apple you can probably find an App for that

The OP mentioned "MOV" only in one of his later posts (#5 here). Just in case he is referring to files that are named something like MOV***.MOD (note the extension), see again my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    The OP mentioned "MOV" only in one of his later posts (#5 here). Just in case he is referring to files that are named something like MOV***.MOD (note the extension), see again my first post.
    Yep I see you're right there. Well I'll hush then before I confuse everyone too much

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    MPG and MOV are both video formats the tricky thing about them is that you can't tell the quality from the file extension. You can see them as containers, e.g. one is blue, the other green and both hold your film collection but one holds them on DVD's and the other one on VHS and the only way to tell which is which is to open them up
    This also means that a MPG container can just as well hold high quality files as low quality files, same goes for MOV (in practice there are some containers that are better suited for higher quality but I wouldn't worry too much about that at your current knowledge level, you'll get to that when you need to)

You need to check the file details (as in, have a peek inside the container). If you're on a windows system you can see the frame dimensions in explorer:
    https://superuser.com/questions/6376...les-resolution
    If you're on an Apple you can probably find an App for that
    Have checked all the files and they're 576 x 704, so I guess it doesn't matter which files I choose to edit as they seem to be the same? doe that seem fair to you guy's?

Yeah, just make a backup you don't want to find out afterwards that you've destroyed/deleted your master piece