Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear and plan for music video

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    I feel that music videos these days are pretty cinematic.....
    Jo, I was with you there until ...
    and are more pro cameras than camcorders).
    which is clearly a ludicrous statement!
    Tim

Basically you can blend in with the cinematic look or stand out without it
    Might also depend on the music you're working with of course, some music might actually benefit from something like FPV action cam footage rather than a cinematic look. Ultimately it'll just be another creative choice if you ask me.
    The cats are watching us...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Jo, I was with you there until ...

which is clearly a ludicrous statement!
    I'm not sure I follow. To clarify on my end, I meant that with my limited research, every time I run into a camcorder-looking body that has a sensor I can live with, the thing is nearing $5k or beyond, and comes with bells and whistles designed for broadcasting and/or TV production.

It would be nice to get my hands on a Canon Vixia with a 4/3" sensor. I haven't seen anything like that. I think it kind of defeats the purpose, as you lose a lot of the ease of use as the sensor gets larger. So in my mind, once you cross a certain size threshold it cannot be made into a camcorder anymore. Like at APSC - there's no way to make a camcorder-type device with a sensor that big, at that point if it is video oriented then it is a cinema camera regardless of what you do try to make it easy to use (something like the C100).

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I follow.
    I misunderstood. I read it to mean that you thought DSLRs are more professional than camcorders. I'm now not sure how I interpreted it as such.
    Tim

5. Default

If you want a workable body with most of the bells and whistles (xlr - NDs - good batteries) and you don;t want to spend big then maybe look at a Sony FS700. Seriously, its basically the same sensor as a FS5-FS7 and you can add a Speed Booster to get that full frame look and lenses. Plus you can buy or rent a external recorded to capture 4k raw if needed. If you are just wanting to shoot 'cinematic' music videos in a controlled environment then a dslr will work fine. Cameras are just tools to use, to make a good video (music, narrative or doc) comes down to the people doing it, lighting and hard work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12