Thread: Adobe Premiere

Default Adobe Premiere

Hey, im getting a new cam for christmas and i was wondering how i would go about editing it in Premier, the cam i had before only did 20 second clips so that was easy to import and edit, but the one im getting now makes one file upto an hour long, i know with windows movie maker it will spilt the video up into clips but adobe doesnt do this.. im sure there must be another way to edit it, rather than manually spliting the clips up on the timeline?

Blog Entries

When capturing clips from my DV camera (or any other source for that matter) I split the footage by "scene" - giving each "scene" its own file name. This helps enormously at the editing stage and dramatically reduced the amount of hard drive space taken up - a good proportion of my footage is never used and this is "rejected" at the capture stage.

So my advice is to think about the editing process long before you actually sit down and create your movie! Shoot and Capture with editing in mind...

So when you import the video from the cam to the pc (from DV tape) you can split it up into different files then? or do you mean film some, import it to pc, then film more, and then import that?

Blog Entries

You'll have complete control over your DV camera from Premiere - so its simple to record footage in "chunks" to your hardrive in one sitting. Simply queue the tape up to the start of the scene, click the record button and watch the film whilst it's captured. Then, when you are at the end of the scene, click stop, and you'll be prompted to enter a file name. Enter a file name and click save and the new clip will be enetered into your project. Repeat the process...

Ah ok thanks mate..!

Also, im wondering, how do you (you personally) store your video clips? do you import them from your cam and then keep them on your hd, which would probably use alot of space.. do you save them to cd? or just keep them on dv tape..?

Blog Entries

I've got over 300GB of disk space, so I tend to keep a "project" on my harddrive for a few months after I've made a DVD (just incase I need to change something), then delete the whole thing from my drives once I'm happy with the finished product (I always keep the raw footage on DV tapes, so I'll always have that!)