Thread: How to do those "restless" line drawings?

Default How to do those "restless" line drawings?

I guess I'm using the wrong keywords but I can't find a clear explanation how to create those "restless" line animations. Like when you draw a stick figure 10 times in the same pose and then play the 10 files in succession so the deviations make the lines look wriggly. I can't imaging that that's the actual way people make that since it's popping up all over the place and it seems extremely time consuming to the point that I wouldn't consider it worth the effort for the result. You see them a lop in commercials and whiteboard animation if I'm not mistaken.

If my description is too cryptic here's an example. The right bottom corner right at the start where it says "Interronauts Episode 10": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKv16XzOX5U

*Edit: If possible a tut or explanation for after effects
    The cats are watching us...

Been wondering this myself. Looking forward to enlightenment on this thread.

'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

I've also wondered if there's an automatic way of getting the "wobbly" characters, but I fear it's is down to repeated still images. I don'tthink 10 are required, probably only 2 or 3.
    The Keswick film was great. He's clearly a good artist and the images were crystal clear. But who recorded the audio :( !!!!!
    Tim

I can actually imagine it might be possible to emulate it a bit with a fast evolving turbulent noise mask or some other displacement effect... haven't tried it yet though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I can actually imagine it might be possible to emulate it a bit with a fast evolving turbulent noise mask or some other displacement effect... haven't tried it yet though.
    Good suggestion. Wish I had some spare time to play but busy transferring data too larger hard drives - Oh the joys of preparing for 4K!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I guess I'm using the wrong keywords but I can't find a clear explanation how to create those "restless" line animations. Like when you draw a stick figure 10 times in the same pose and then play the 10 files in succession so the deviations make the lines look wriggly. I can't imaging that that's the actual way people make that since it's popping up all over the place and it seems extremely time consuming to the point that I wouldn't consider it worth the effort for the result. You see them a lop in commercials and whiteboard animation if I'm not mistaken.

If my description is too cryptic here's an example. The right bottom corner right at the start where it says "Interronauts Episode 10": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKv16XzOX5U

*Edit: If possible a tut or explanation for after effects

What exactly are you interested in - the wiggly text or wiggly anything else (custom lines, graphics etc)?

I have done the text animation in a few videos and it's quite easy to do, there are many tutorials on youtube about it and like 3-4 different ways to do this effect
    Just search for wiggle text after effects or jitter text after effects.

If you want to apply this effect to other things, then you can use some of the techniques in those text tut videos.
    I guess the easiest way to do this is to add the Turbulent Displace effect to your shapes or texts.

Here's a video, it's not in English, but it's very easy to follow as the effect is quite simple.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6TvRqMj7DQ

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    What exactly are you interested in - the wiggly text or wiggly anything else (custom lines, graphics etc)?

I have done the text animation in a few videos and it's quite easy to do, there are many tutorials on youtube about it and like 3-4 different ways to do this effect
    Just search for wiggle text after effects or jitter text after effects.

If you want to apply this effect to other things, then you can use some of the techniques in those text tut videos.
    I guess the easiest way to do this is to add the Turbulent Displace effect to your shapes or texts.

Here's a video, it's not in English, but it's very easy to follow as the effect is quite simple.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6TvRqMj7DQ
    Yay, that was just what I was looking for. I should've searched on wiggly text instead of wiggly line effect ... so close
    Thanks!