Thread: Carrizo Gorge Part 1: The North End

Default Carrizo Gorge Part 1: The North End

Here's my newest video! I really put a lot of effort into this one...

This is the first in a short series of videos on the historic, scenic Carrizo Gorge and the San Diego & Arizona Railway line that runs through it. This video explores the northern end of the gorge route.

Coming soon:
    "Carrizo Gorge Part 2: The Seven Sisters Trestles"
    "Carrizo Gorge Part 3: The Goat Canyon Trestle"

Music for this video provided by:

"Sunrise" by Eric Matyas, courtesy of SoundImage.org
    http://soundimage.org/

"Inspiring & Uplifting Acoustic" by Den Bass
    Licensed through AudioJungle
    https://audiojungle.net/item/inspiri...ustic/19383890

<em>

Enjoy!

2. Default

Well done Ray. Really great. Not only the amazing scenery and the stunning railway locations, but your video production values are improving every time. Lots of the important human interest and the voice-overs and music complete the picture. The effort put into this one really shows. For me I will say that itís a real PRO production,

One small thing I would have liked to have seen added. (NO, not a critisism). That is some short pieces to camera by either yourself or your B-in-Law. These could be at the start or at the end or both. Have a think about this one.

Again, well done and I will pass the link on to friends to enjoy. Wynn

Blog Entries

It's good to see some real attempt at documentary film making here. Yes, the locations and aerial camerawork is good and the production values are high as Wynn says above.
    The voiceover was good and clear with just one or two cases of "popping". You manage to get some enthusiasm into your voice - so many documentaries about "boy" things such things as railways lack this.

There were some areas for improvement or things I wasn't quite so keen on:

Whilst I admire the attempts to get the shots along the line/inside the tunnels, the walking motion detracted for me.

Stills stick out like a sore thumb. They are fine where this is necessary (archive material, shots where you could not realistically be expected to shoot them) but they are always incongruous when they are clearly taken at the same time as you were actually shooting video.

I get frustrated by lines like "In this aerial view from the South we can see an excavated area above the tunnel" as this leaves me feeling you've drawn my attention to something but then not told me anything about it. It begs the question why was this area excavated?

Just personal opinion. Not suggesting they're faults as such.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

Whilst I admire the attempts to get the shots along the line/inside the tunnels, the walking motion detracted for me.

I get frustrated by lines like "In this aerial view from the South we can see an excavated area above the tunnel" as this leaves me feeling you've drawn my attention to something but then not told me anything about it. It begs the question why was this area excavated?
    I agree with Tim and like to add to it that the walking shots could've quite easily been made with the drone as well as far as I can tell.

I won't go as far as saying I'm frustrated by the lines Tim mentioned I did however wonder exactly that which he describes as well.

Also for some reason playback over here is choppy for some reason, no matter what resolution I play it back in. I wonder if anyone else has that issue as well?

Looking very much forward to the next episode
    The cats are watching us...

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm also happy to hear your comments and suggestions -- I'm always interested in ways to improve my work.

I agree that I could have used more "B roll" footage. That's something I'll have to keep in mind when shooting. Unfortunately the footage I had available for this was limited, so I felt I needed to use at least some stills.

Also agree that some brief on-camera comments might have been useful.

The main problem with my "walking" shots was due to inexperience with the gimbal. (I was using a Zhiyun Crane 2.) Fortunately some of the later footage that will be used in parts 1 and 2 is much better.

Any suggestions on how to avoid that popping sound on "P" words? It bugs me too but I'm not sure how to avoid it. Maybe just need more practice with the mic?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dunakin View Post
    Any suggestions on how to avoid that popping sound on "P" words? It bugs me too but I'm not sure how to avoid it. Maybe just need more practice with the mic?
    I use my wind shield even indoors as a pop shield (since I find it adequate and don't want to spend money on a pop filter) and I aim my mic more towards my chest rather than at my face.
    There's loads of other tips to be found when you search for "avoid plosives" like: https://theproaudiofiles.com/plosives/
    The cats are watching us...

7. Default

The best way to prevent pops is with a mesh screen type filter. Foam filters can also work well. An added benefit of the mesh filter is that you can use it to keep your positioning consistent.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ter-pop-filter

If you need to mitigate pops in audio already recorded you can apply a high pass filter over just the area of the pop. Try it at about 2kHz. The exact details of how you do this will depend on your software.

Thanks! I have a foam filter already but will look into the pop filter.