Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INVESTING in a production company

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Hey man, since this post was raised from the dead by some marketing bot anyway I'll ride the bump. How is your production company going? Did you get it off the ground? Are you still looking for additional funding/investors/partners?
    LOL, on what logic do those bots find year old forum posts ?!
    But sure, i can give an update for those who are interested in the business side of things.

So, i managed to get funding from a Private Investor without collateral and with lower % then in loan companies (not banks). Obviously a bank would have 4x lower %, but those greedy a-holes (banks and load companies) in my country ask for only real estate collateral that's worth 2x to 3x the amount of the loan. As in, if you want a 30K loan, a bank will ask for 60K real estate and a loan company for 90K real estate in return. Obviously that's retarded!

Anyway, as i predicted - i returned the short term loan in less then 2 months and i have 3 monthly payments left to fully repay the long term loan.

My production company is doing great, i quadruplet my revenue this year compared to the first year.
    I have 3 full time employees, but i will go back to 2 and hire more crew per project basis if needed. I think that models will work better.

Right now i have another European project that was accepted for 50 000 EUR. Same deal - 70% will be funded by the EU and my government and 30% is self-financed.
    I am currently working on getting financing for this project.

In this new project i am going for cine gear - most likely the Mavo LF with cine lenses (the C500 mkII is a bit disappointing, the high fps crop is horrible and i don't like the Sony FX9 form factor), quite a bit of accessories, new lights and other stuff. Basically gearing up for much larger productions and shifting to international clients.
    I know some would say - renting makes more sense, and normally i would agree, but not if you can get any gear with a 70% discount. By my estimates that gear will pay for itself within 3-4 months and after that it's pure profit.

In a nutshell that's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    LOL, on what logic do those bots find year old forum posts ?!
    But sure, i can give an update for those who are interested in the business side of things.

So, i managed to get funding from a Private Investor without collateral and with lower % then in loan companies (not banks). Obviously a bank would have 4x lower %, but those greedy a-holes (banks and load companies) in my country ask for only real estate collateral that's worth 2x to 3x the amount of the loan. As in, if you want a 30K loan, a bank will ask for 60K real estate and a loan company for 90K real estate in return. Obviously that's retarded!

Anyway, as i predicted - i returned the short term loan in less then 2 months and i have 3 monthly payments left to fully repay the long term loan.

My production company is doing great, i quadruplet my revenue this year compared to the first year.
    I have 3 full time employees, but i will go back to 2 and hire more crew per project basis if needed. I think that models will work better.

Right now i have another European project that was accepted for 50 000 EUR. Same deal - 70% will be funded by the EU and my government and 30% is self-financed.
    I am currently working on getting financing for this project.

In this new project i am going for cine gear - most likely the Mavo LF with cine lenses (the C500 mkII is a bit disappointing, the high fps crop is horrible and i don't like the Sony FX9 form factor), quite a bit of accessories, new lights and other stuff. Basically gearing up for much larger productions and shifting to international clients.
    I know some would say - renting makes more sense, and normally i would agree, but not if you can get any gear with a 70% discount. By my estimates that gear will pay for itself within 3-4 months and after that it's pure profit.

In a nutshell that's pretty much it.
    That's great to hear man, I'm surprised you don't like the FX9 form factor though. As I understood it, form factor is usually the reasons people actually pick the Sony F series over e.g. the Canon C's. I should definitely look into securing some funding somewhere by the time I know where I'd want to go with it. For the moment we're still mostly providing editing services which helps me save up for something bigger
    The cats are watching us...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    That's great to hear man, I'm surprised you don't like the FX9 form factor though. As I understood it, form factor is usually the reasons people actually pick the Sony F series over e.g. the Canon C's. I should definitely look into securing some funding somewhere by the time I know where I'd want to go with it. For the moment we're still mostly providing editing services which helps me save up for something bigger
    Well, i don't like a couple of things with the FX9.
    1. It is it's size. With the extension unit and a V-mount battery the camera is very big. Also, it's not very gimbal friendly.

I plan to use the cine camera i would buy with the Ronin-2 and a Black Arm on a car rig for driving shoots. Obviously that kind of work would be a fraction of all the usage.
    You can fit the FX9, but the long form factor is a negative for me in many scenarios.

Something like this, but here they have the Movi XL

2. I am still not a fan of the image. To me it looks too clinical, not cinematic. I know this is a personal taste thing, but i like the ARRI look 10x better then RED and Sony. The Mavo LF has that ARRI feel. The only downside for the Mavo is the shitty dynamic range.

3. Somehow the more then a year old Mavo LF has better specs then the new FX9. Put all of that together and it seems like a better choice to me.

You should definitely check in to what options you have in your country or region for financing projects. Everything from 50% and up is worth it. In my case i had access to 70% government financing which is huge. The only downside is that you have to pay for everything yourself first and then they refund the 70% back to you within 1 month or so after the project is completed.

4. Default

Thank everyone so, everyone has their vision about marketing. It all depends on what you do. I always prefer to use some tips like web traffic analysis https://www.owox.com/blog/use-cases/...fic-analytics/ . So, in this case, I can analyze all my customers, and it helps me to increase sales.
    Last edited by Antagonist; 06-18-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12