Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Public place uk. ... filming

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    L

Most people I know who've done it have simply employed guerrilla tactics. Rehears the shots elsewhere then turn up and go for it.
    Yes, my usual approach but I don't usually shoot in crowded places for prolonged periods. The area we plan to shoot is also heavy with security cameras so no doubt they'd be on is in no time. I was Just wondering how we'd be fixed if approached. TBH, if it means getting permission before hand we'll not bother using that location.

Connected, a guy in our club posted some footage on YouTube of a flooded street last year. Local news picked up on it and request they use his footage ... which he would have agreed on but declined on account he had to get release from people appearing in the footage .. obviously most were members of the public he didn't know.
    Last edited by enc; 03-08-2018 at 02:34 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Local news picked up on it and request they use his footage ... which he would have agreed on but declined on account he had to get release from people appearing in the footage .. obviously most were members of the public he didn't know.
    Did the local news ask for model releases as a requirement to run the footage?

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    Did the local news ask for model releases as a requirement to run the footage?

Something like that maybe. In the end he said no to them using the footage.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

We plan to "case the gaff" (as they say south of Watford) sometime soon, maybe see if we can speak to security at the planned location.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Connected, a guy in our club posted some footage on YouTube of a flooded street last year. Local news picked up on it and request they use his footage ... which he would have agreed on but declined on account he had to get release from people appearing in the footage .. obviously most were members of the public he didn't know.
    That's rather a strange attitude. He figures he needs releases if the BBC use the footage but not if its on YouTube.
    Some contradiction here.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    That's rather a strange attitude. He figures he needs releases if the BBC use the footage but not if its on YouTube.
    Some contradiction here.
    Don't think it's about " what he figures" he put the footage upon YouTube without permission from anybody as you and I would of. The tv company picked up on it (from youtube) and asked if they could use it but he'd have to fill in a form... oh and offered to pay for it.... a penny !
    I don't disbelieve the guy ...he's an old gent.

7. Default

Very interesting about the 'buyout' offer. They are asking that you give them long-term paid rights to the footage basically as a gift. That surely simplifies their footage licensing concerns.

It's a pain to ask for model releases and a bill of purchase for all news footage, but think about it, the BBC probably has decades and decades of footage, and this scheme gives them confidence that the archive is legally clean and ready to use for anything. I've seen documentary filmmakers license old footage from the BBC, which is made possible by their due diligence in gaining the rights to all that footage at the time they acquire it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12