Thread: Where do you buy your PROPS?

Question Where do you buy your PROPS?

Hey guys,

As the title suggests i made this topic about movie props, more specifically where do YOU find (buy or get for free) some of the props you use for content creation?
    Be it for films, youtube videos, sets, product photography and so on.

What interests me the most is what's out there online that has world wide shipping and doesn't have ridiculous pricing.
    Yeah, ebay is a thing, but only if you know exactly what to search for.

For example - i get some props from people on Facebook.
    There are usually a few facebook groups (locally) where people give away or sell random stuff that they don't need anymore.

Another thing i have found is a website called etsy.com
    It has a huge selection of stuff and some of it is for a reasonable price, but some things tend to be way overpriced.

Let me know what sources you have.

2. Default

Could you give an idea of what type of 'props' you are looking for? I don't own a studio but if I look to rent one for a job I usually find they have a selection of chairs, tables (all kind of stuff) and then I just source any things extra needed.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Cat Media View Post
    Could you give an idea of what type of 'props' you are looking for? I don't own a studio but if I look to rent one for a job I usually find they have a selection of chairs, tables (all kind of stuff) and then I just source any things extra needed.
    Rob
    Hey,

It's honestly not one type or props i am looking for. I do various kinds of work, but mostly YouTube content and product photography these days.
    Product photography needs a lot of different small props as decor for the shots. Almost every shoot needs something else based on the actual product.

Unfortunately i don't have any antique or thrift shops in a 120 km vicinity which usually means i order stuff online and wait till it gets here. Decor stores are totally out of the question in my country and their prices are INSANE!
    I try to locate as many flee markets in my area as i can to get some props for cheap, i also check facebook groups that sell or give away things they don't need anymore.

For my YouTube content i am still building 4 sets and they will need decor on the walls, shelves and tables etc. At the moment it seems as building the actual sets is much less expensive then putting decor in them.

Blog Entries

I gotta say, Latvia and the UK seem like polar opposites given your posts RL_Sensei
    What you find difficult/expensive, we find easy/cheap and what you find easy/cheap we find difficult/expensive.
    Yet to me Latvia seems so exotic!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I gotta say, Latvia and the UK seem like polar opposites given your posts RL_Sensei
    What you find difficult/expensive, we find easy/cheap and what you find easy/cheap we find difficult/expensive.
    Yet to me Latvia seems so exotic!

Have to agree with what you said.
    People who have not lived here don't even know how ridiculously expensive this country is from a "how much you make vs how much you have to spend" point of view. It's pretty much the top 3 most expensive country in Europe when you compare Income vs How much stuff costs.
    Sure, when someone from Norway who has a 5000 - 10000 EUR salary comes to Latvia on a vacation everything seems cheap... but what people don't know is that the average salary in my country is 700 EUR a MONTH. Yet, gas costs 1.22 EUR/liter... a new BMW 5 series is 60 000 EUR... rent for a normal 2 bed room is around 700 - 1000 EUR in our capital city... and for 20 EUR in the grocery store i can get only a hand full of things... like seriously... 7-8 items...
    My neighboring country (Lithuania) is roughly 60-80 % cheaper on food, building materials and other things... i happen to live 30 km from the border and the 6th largest Lithuanian city is 40 min close... i literary drive every week to Lithuania to buy food, because it is so much cheaper there. I also bought 90% of all the building materials for my studio in Lithuania...
    Not to mention their gas prices are 15% cheaper and they have road tax included in the gas price whereas in our country we have to pay 150-200 EUR road tax in addition to much more expensive gas.

I have lived for a few years in the US and Canada, my sister lives in Norway and for a year i traveled to UK and Ireland almost every other week for work and those countries have it much... much better of the Latvia in terms of how expensive stuff is.

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    Have to agree with what you said.
    People who have not lived here don't even know how ridiculously expensive this country is from a "how much you make vs how much you have to spend" point of view. It's pretty much the top 3 most expensive country in Europe when you compare Income vs How much stuff costs.
    Sure, when someone from Norway who has a 5000 - 10000 EUR salary comes to Latvia on a vacation everything seems cheap... but what people don't know is that the average salary in my country is 700 EUR a MONTH. Yet, gas costs 1.22 EUR/liter... a new BMW 5 series is 60 000 EUR... rent for a normal 2 bed room is around 700 - 1000 EUR in our capital city... and for 20 EUR in the grocery store i can get only a hand full of things... like seriously... 7-8 items...
    My neighboring country (Lithuania) is roughly 60-80 % cheaper on food, building materials and other things... i happen to live 30 km from the border and the 6th largest Lithuanian city is 40 min close... i literary drive every week to Lithuania to buy food, because it is so much cheaper there. I also bought 90% of all the building materials for my studio in Lithuania...
    Not to mention their gas prices are 15% cheaper and they have road tax included in the gas price whereas in our country we have to pay 150-200 EUR road tax in addition to much more expensive gas.

I have lived for a few years in the US and Canada, my sister lives in Norway and for a year i traveled to UK and Ireland almost every other week for work and those countries have it much... much better of the Latvia in terms of how expensive stuff is.
    Well if you or anyone else for that matter is looking for call-center props I've got a few items around that would work (I was planning to use them as props as well). Dunno if the shipping costs make it worth the while though.
    Here's what I got:
    38x Polycom phones SoundPoint IP 300 (VOIP stations)
    18x receiver (so less receivers than phones)
    1x roline VS-104 (VGS splitter box)
    1x siemens euroset 2015 (Just a phone as far as I know)

Some of the phones might still work but they're a bit old. Also I don't have any chords or base plates (base plates are useless in any case)
    I was hoping to get about 60 ex. shipping for the whole list. Just send me a PM if you're interested.
    The cats are watching us...

Grapes,

Did you rob an office / call center?
    I am imagining a scenario - "You can't fire me, i quit! And i am taking with me my Polycom phone, and this guys, and this guys... does anyone have a box? No... get me 5-6 boxes, i am taking all of them! "

Hahahaha it probably looks like that yeah. I got them from a 2nd hand office supply store. The guy told me they where a donation from a call center that had done a hardware upgrade hence the possibility the phones might actually still work. He couldn't test them though and neither can I but at the time I thought it was a brilliant investment. I did a few shoots with a couple of the phones but I never gotten around to do the whole call center scene I'd thought I'd do. It's "just" two moving boxes though...
    The cats are watching us...