Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filming in SNOWSTORM

Default Filming in SNOWSTORM

So the beast of the east - so to what the media have called it, has arrived in the UK and battered the whole of England, Scotland and most of Ireland with heavy snow and treacherous condition. I saw this opportunity for the Mavic to go out and stretch its wings. So, off out I went to braved the snowstorm with my Mavic, and to my surprised, I got some surprising results.

So as usual, comment and let me know your thoughts, CC welcomed and if you like the video, please do press the like button and if you want to see more hit the subcribe button. Enjoy!

Blog Entries

I really enjoyed watching this although not normally my cup of tea.
    I wasn't sure about the pink snow (OK I suppose i's sepia, but my immediate reaction was pink) but I liked that it was graded consistently and at least you'd tried something different (for snow scenes) and by the end of the film I'd grown to quite like it.
    What really made the film for me was the soundtrack - both the music and the foley worked really well - in fact I think this is the fist time I've noticed foley added in drone films such as this (as opposed to films where drone footage is only part of the film). The helicopter audio made me sit up and take notice and I liked the way you subtly changed this for each shot.
    Most cuts work well and the use of dissolves is restrained. I'm not sure why, perhaps it's the change of camera movement, but the cut at 46s stood out for me as a bit harsh.
    Nice job and a short which 've now watched several times.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I really enjoyed watching this although not normally my cup of tea.
    I wasn't sure about the pink snow (OK I suppose i's sepia, but my immediate reaction was pink) but I liked that it was graded consistently and at least you'd tried something different (for snow scenes) and by the end of the film I'd grown to quite like it.
    What really made the film for me was the soundtrack - both the music and the foley worked really well - in fact I think this is the fist time I've noticed foley added in drone films such as this (as opposed to films where drone footage is only part of the film). The helicopter audio made me sit up and take notice and I liked the way you subtly changed this for each shot.
    Most cuts work well and the use of dissolves is restrained. I'm not sure why, perhaps it's the change of camera movement, but the cut at 46s stood out for me as a bit harsh.
    Nice job and a short which 've now watched several times.
    Oh Jeez, now I know I'm getting old - I'm to about to out-Tim Tim!

Most of the aerial shots, as you would expect, are great. It provides a unique perspective that even 5 years ago would have been impossible to achieve on our kinds of budget. The thing is, everyone now has access to these types of shots. It's the new norm; the wow factor of aerial shots has almost disappeared for me. So that left me with the technical or composition issues that I would otherwise have glossed over. My thoughts are:
    • On 3 or 4 occasions you left shots in where the camera panned slightly. I would either lose these shots or cut before the camera pans.
    • It seemed like you put cross dissolves on every clip and some of the cuts really stood out.
    • It got a bit samey quite quickly. I expected some lower shots, for example through the trees, along the path, closer to the ground near the river bank etc. Also, the camera doesn't always have to be in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post

Most of the aerial shots, as you would expect, are great. It provides a unique perspective that even 5 years ago would have been impossible to achieve on our kinds of budget. The thing is, everyone now has access to these types of shots. It's the new norm; the wow factor of aerial shots has almost disappeared for me. So that left me with the technical or composition issues that I would otherwise have glossed over. My thoughts are:
    • On 3 or 4 occasions you left shots in where the camera panned slightly. I would either lose these shots or cut before the camera pans.
    • It seemed like you put cross dissolves on every clip and some of the cuts really stood out.
    • It got a bit samey quite quickly. I expected some lower shots, for example through the trees, along the path, closer to the ground near the river bank etc. Also, the camera doesn't always have to be in the air.
    Thanks for the feedback. they were really helpful. I know what you mean with a few of them have slight pan, i was hoping not many people would see it. The only issue is, i had 20mins to film as I work morning 9am till 5.30pm and by 5.30pm, we will have lost the daylight so i had to go out and do some filming at lunch time for just 30mins (10mins to set up), so everything was a rush, which is why this film is so short, i wanted a longer film and involved a bit more of gimbal, handheld camera shoot, but again i have limited time to do this. So, i will have to do it on separate days (as long as the snow still here tomorrow or day after). So putting this video together - i spent 2-3 hours putting this film together from about 2mins of usable footages. Hopefully, if the snow are still here, i will go out and do more filming and hopefully most shots will be perfect and no unnessary panning etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    The inevitable has happened. Once upon a time Methuselah was used as the default similie for old age. Now it appears it's me.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mannyteh View Post
    I know what you mean with a few of them have slight pan, i was hoping not many people would see it.
    There'san old adage in editing - if YOU are aware of it, then at least some of your viewers will notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by mannyteh View Post
    The only issue is, I had 20mins to film as I work
    ...etc

We'e all guilty of making that sort of excuse but unfortunately the fact is the viewers don't know that nor do they care. (That's not meant in a nasty way)
    Tim

NIce film

i guess you guys don’t normally get a lot of snow

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    NIce film

Indeed. If you’ve seen any UK news over the past couple of days you’ll appreciate that if any of the white stuff has the audacity to settle, we go into lockdown. Basically it’s an opportunity for us to put into practice the stuff we learned from public information films about what to do in the event of a nuclear attack - but without the burning or radiation sickness.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    NIce film

thanks man

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    There'san old adage in editing - if YOU are aware of it, then at least some of your viewers will notice it.

...etc

We'e all guilty of making that sort of excuse but unfortunately the fact is the viewers don't know that nor do they care. (That's not meant in a nasty way)

hahaha yea i know what you mean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast