Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I get better quality videos?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RL_Sensei View Post
    I know i am nitpicking here, but you should not call it RAW clips. The term raw is reserved for the actual video file format *.raw that's only available in high end video cameras. BUT i know what you mean.
    I know I'm nit-picking but people referred to "raw" long before it was possible to capture all the data captured by the sensor, to mean "what come's off the camera". Generally when referring to all the data the sensor can capture (alond with metadata), there appears to be a convention to use the term "RAW" in upper case so as to distinguish it from "raw" as used by the OP.

(Meant in good humour)

Irrespective, whilst I agree with you about the greater compression/lower bit rates etc, there's plenty of high action great footage (not filmic, but clear and infocus) shot on iPhonne 7s - much better than we see in the OPs and as he says what appears on his PC is far better, there's clearly room for improvement somewhere. Your tips should help.

I'd add make sure your project settings (resolution, fps) match your source footage.

One possible problem I suspect is that the iPhone records at a variable frame rate and not all software handles that. Certainly your editing experience will be better if you convert to a constant frame rate before dragging it into the editor.

http://vidbetter.com/train-d/vidbett...phone-footage/
    Tim

2. Default

I just looked in the settings there is a setting for 4K at 30fps
    I may give that a try

3. Default

These are the settings it was set on default when I export as WMV or MP4.
    IM going to start using MP4 instead do these need to be chamged up any?
    I also noticed my unedited files are .mov

settings.jpg

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JRUSH311 View Post
    These are the settings it was set on default when I export as WMV or MP4.
    IM going to start using MP4 instead do these need to be chamged up any?
    I also noticed my unedited files are .mov

settings.jpg

Waaaaaait a minute.

If those were your export settings the whole time, then it makes sense why your footage looks much worse after exporting.

1. Your export resolution is set to 720p (1280x720 pixels) - it should be 1920x1080
    2. Your bitrate is at 5000 Kbps (5 Mbps) - it should be at least 10000 Kbps or 12000 Kbps
    3. If your timeline (the actual sequence where you edit the footage) is set to, let's say 30 fps, then you have to export it at the same fps as well! I see that in your export settings it's set to 59.94 fps.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I know I'm nit-picking but people referred to "raw" long before it was possible to capture all the data captured by the sensor, to mean "what come's off the camera". Generally when referring to all the data the sensor can capture (alond with metadata), there appears to be a convention to use the term "RAW" in upper case so as to distinguish it from "raw" as used by the OP.

(Meant in good humour)
    Oh, i know about the whole RAW and raw saga, but times have changed.
    Nowadays the term raw (for video work) is mostly used for referring to the actual raw file format footage. Same for photography to be honest. If you say - it's a raw picture. 99% of photographers know that it means it was shot in raw file format and not that its an unedited image.

I have had this happen a lot on video shoots and post production where someone asks "i need the raw clips from day 1" and then some intern or assistant sends over the WHOLE day 1 shoot because he thought that raw meant "unedited" footage, instead of just the raw (*.R3D) format clips from the RED camera.
    On most larger shoots we have a mix of RED, 1Dx mark II, Phantom 4 Pro and goPro clips and there is not place for confusion with the term raw.

6. Default

I think Iíll invest in a camera then if that will also help , my boss is going to purchase it 👍🏻
    What would be a good camera that has capability of lav mic input as he wants to do a walk around explanation video of the work we do

And secondly if i purchase a cam and film in 1080p at 30fps just curious how thatís better than the iPhone7
    Are there other important specs Iím not privy to?

7. Default

I think I’ll invest in a camera then if that will also help , my boss is going to purchase it 
    What would be a good camera that has capability of lav mic input as he wants to do a walk around explanation video of the work we do

And secondly if i purchase a cam and film in 1080p at 30fps just curious how that’s better than the iPhone7
    Are there other important specs I’m not privy to?
    So, i don't want to sound like an ass or anything, but it seems to me that your knowledge about cameras, filming and editing is on a "this is my first time" beginner level ?! Could that be the case?
    I thought you said you were making stuff on window movie maker for 10 years now, yet it seems you have not learned anything regarding the whole process in that huge amount of time.

It's sort of very basic knowledge and even common sense that the camera SENSOR in a phone is super small, in fact in an iphone 7 it's 5.16 mm * 6.25 mm (32.3 mm2 surface area) whereas in something like an Canon DSLR with an APS-C sensor the size is 28.7 mm * 19 mm (548 mm2 surface area).
    That means that the sensor in a APS-C DSLR is 17 times bigger then in an iphone 7 !

With that 17x bigger sensor the camera can obviously take much better quality images in various conditions, especially in bad lighting etc. I will not go in to the details here, as there are many other aspects as well, but that is the basic explanation.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Now. Regarding a camera.
    Again, you ask a question that is impossible to answer.
    There are cameras for $300 and there are cameras for $100 000. How can anyone know what your budget is and what your needs are?
    You need to give us a lot more information if you want any help.

It's like when people used to ask me "how much would a house cost" (i used to own a construction company). It's such a retarded question without giving any information on budged or needs. Something like that enrages me.

1. What's your budged?
    2. Do you need a DSLR, Mirrorless or is a camcorder okay for what you want to do? (google the differences between those). A DSLR and Mirrorless will require lenses (good lenses are expensive).
    3. Any decent camera has a mic input (has nothing to do with lav setup itself )
    4. You definitely do not want to have a wired lav mic setup that you plug in directly in the camera. It sucks, for obvious reasons... the cord... You will need a wireless lav mic solution.

The cheapest and simplest way to go would obviously be a decent camcorder + wireless lav setup.
    Because you can spend thausands on decent DSLR + lens setups.

P.s. I suggest that you spend some time on YouTube watching videos related to video shooting. Be it gear, tech, filming, post production or anything really, so that you have a basic understanding of how stuff actually works.

8. Default

Yea you are on point , I hardly know any of the specs , Iíve always just ďmade it workĒ
    But now that Iím seeing a quality drop I want to further my learning , this is some great information and I appreciate the help very much, the boss will spend $200-$300 Iím sure.
    Just want to make sure if we do buy a camera that it wonít be the weak point ,
    Donít have a lot of interest in 4K
    If I could get a decent 1080 video that would suffice , and as I mentioned the mic input. Thanks again Iím sure itís aggravating trying to explain to a noob

Blog Entries

RL_Sensei has covered a lot of the points, but just to add some options...

3. Any decent camera has a mic input (has nothing to do with lav setup itself )
    But beware - many do not have a headphone socket so these are next to useless.
    4. You definitely do not want to have a wired lav mic setup that you plug in directly in the camera. It sucks, for obvious reasons... the cord...
    Rather depends on whether we need to see full shots of the boss walking around. If we are mainly seeing just upper body and he is fairly large in the screen a wired lav may be fine - it's certainly a lot cheaper and there's less to go wrong.

You will need a wireless lav mic solution.
    Or the budget version (decent wireless kit is around £500), which is a wired lav and a digital recorder which the talent keeps in a pocket/on a belt (as he would have to keep a wireless transmitter anyway.

This does have the disadvantage that you will not be able to monitor while recording, but, unlike a camera with no headphone socket, you would be able to check the signale before recording and play it back immediately afterwards. This is not something you would want to use where there is only one chance to get the interview, but from what you describe, this will be rehearsed and you'll have the opportunity to have several takes.

A possible benefit of a digital recorder is that the on-board mics are likely better than your on camera mic and this can be used for capturing additional ambient audio.

And don't discount second hand for cameras. There are plenty of good deals to be had (but you do need to know what you are looking for and you may have to be patient for the right deal to come along)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 02-28-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    Tim

10. Default

...the boss will spend $200-$300 I’m sure.
    Just want to make sure if we do buy a camera that it won’t be the weak point
    $200 - $300 for a camera + lav mic setup?
    In that case you should stick with the iphone 7. I am dead serious, there is no camera that i am aware of (used or new) for $200 that will give you better quality then the iphone 7.

I am not sure if you are aware of the prices regarding camera gear, but i have audio or video cables and tiny accessories that cost more then $200.

Unless you are willing to spend at least $1200 - $1500 on the most budged entry level camera (with kit lens) + lav mic setup, don't even bother. I mean... a new iphone or galaxy phone is a $1000 and we are talking about camera gear here, c'mon man!
    Even a decent point and shoot camera is $600.

And let's not forget... you will need some accessories as well - extra batteries, SD cards, maybe a tripod, some basic lens cleaning kit, maybe some cheap on-camera light and so on. Those things ad up and they can total $200 - $300 on the most basic budget versions.

You need to talk to your boss and decide if you are willing to invest in some entry level camera gear to get your production quality up to at least basic standards.
    I mean, as TimStannard said - a decent wireless lav mic setup is around $600 alone. For example Sennheiser G3. Those things will last you 10 years without any problems, that's why they are an investment.

Let me know what you guys decide and i can throw out some budget gear kits for you to consider.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast