Thread: Greece, Ouranoupoli.

Default Greece, Ouranoupoli.

Greedings, new member here and generally new to video editing/filming. I'm actually a graphic designer with passion to photography and videography (recently)
    I've made a short video about a village located in Central Macedonia, Greece, most shots are made from my drone, even some ground shots are made with it handheld due to its gimbal which i adore.
    So my equipment was
    Dji Mavic Pro
    Nikkon D3300 18-105 & a tripod.

I'd like some c&c on how to improve both my footage's and the editing part and i dont mind being harsh on me as i've learned photoshop this way. Also any camera geek could suggest me perhaps a decent lens for my nikkon, or even a body to get in the future.
    I'd love to know what process of it is that makes the footage (water) look like ..stripes (?) so i can avoid getting it in the future, im guessing codec and exporting settings,so an insight to it would be awesome!
    Here is the video. I hope you like it, looking forward to learning from the experienced members here.

https://youtu.be/fi7yZ0a_EmY
    Ps. If i were to cnc myself i'd say that i've used too many different transitions and the colours dont match, (such warm beach vs cold weather shots) and that the road part is kinda boring.
    Last edited by origin; 02-26-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Your own critique is a good start. 1/4 of your film is road shots - and they're not even use dto link locations.
    At least three shots are far from level - I have a real problem with water sloping!

But - what's the purpose of the film? What are you trying to show? Who is your audience?

Once you progress from snapshots, these are the sort of questions you need to answer.

Then you can develop a narrative and make a film which makes some sort of sense.

I can see you've done this at a micro level (where one shot leads naturally into another) but think about the overall structure of the vid.
    Tim

Your own critique is a good start. 1/4 of your film is road shots - and they're not even use dto link locations.
    At least three shots are far from level - I have a real problem with water sloping!
    You're so right, it didnt bother me before as much as it does now that you've mentioned it!

But - what's the purpose of the film? What are you trying to show? Who is your audience?
    The purpose is just for me to start putting something together, I'm trying to show the village as a place, with shots that i've shot in a period of time like 5 months. But due to crazy workload (15 hours a day with 2 hours break - all my shooting was done then) all the footage is random and without a real purpose in mind.

Once you progress from snapshots, these are the sort of questions you need to answer.

Then you can develop a narrative and make a film which makes some sort of sense.

I can see you've done this at a micro level (where one shot leads naturally into another) but think about the overall structure of the vid

I wanted for the scenes to kinda match together, and partly i managed at some point. Sadly there is no overal structure as you've noticed.
    Im taking your comment with a warm heart and im looking forward to my next video (which i know how i want it,and will shoot in within a day(s)) and try to apply any suggestions that come my way. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by origin View Post
    [COLOR=#006400]
    Im taking your comment with a warm heart and im looking forward to my next video (which i know how i want it,and will shoot in within a day
    Good. the intention is to suggest areas for improvement, rather than simply crticise.

Given your description of "trying to show the village as a place", I didn't get that from the film. This could have been any selection of shots from even several places, so we need to come up with an imaginative means of showing the start/end of the village/journey.
    You have the "road to" so let's get an obvious sign when we enter the village. Perhaps when leaving, do so with a shot looking backwards as we drive away - perhaps leading to one of your drone shots looking back and moving away.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Good. the intention is to suggest areas for improvement, rather than simply crticise.

Given your description of "trying to show the village as a place", I didn't get that from the film. This could have been any selection of shots from even several places, so we need to come up with an imaginative means of showing the start/end of the village/journey.
    You have the "road to" so let's get an obvious sign when we enter the village. Perhaps when leaving, do so with a shot looking backwards as we drive away - perhaps leading to one of your drone shots looking back and moving away.
    Yup, i'll follow your suggestions on my next piece, and i'll post it here to see on what degree i've achieved them. thanks