Thread: Need to replace my pc for 4k video editing

Default Need to replace my pc for 4k video editing

Hello,

I am looking to replace my current pc (Xeon w390, 16gb ddr 3 and gtx 1060 gpu) so that i can get better performance in editing 4k video.

I currently use proxies, but the encoding of these files is very slow!, so looking for a speed boost.
    The problem as allways is budget,

As memory is very expensive at the moment i am considering staying with dd3 and perhaps get a 8 core xeon cpu such as a e5-2690 cpu, new mainboard and a memory upgrade with an ssd.

But i dont know if that would be worth it, also considering an i7 coffee lake cpu, but that would need new memory and cost around 900.

I use resolve and fusion for software and i would really appreciate any first hand advice you can offer me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trebor28 View Post
    Hello,

I am looking to replace my current pc (Xeon w390, 16gb ddr 3 and gtx 1060 gpu) so that i can get better performance in editing 4k video.

I currently use proxies, but the encoding of these files is very slow!, so looking for a speed boost.
    The problem as allways is budget,

As memory is very expensive at the moment i am considering staying with dd3 and perhaps get a 8 core xeon cpu such as a e5-2690 cpu, new mainboard and a memory upgrade with an ssd.

But i dont know if that would be worth it, also considering an i7 coffee lake cpu, but that would need new memory and cost around 900.

I use resolve and fusion for software and i would really appreciate any first hand advice you can offer me.

Thanks
    If fusion and resolve offer support for dual CPU's and you want a budget solution you could get some very nice setups with multiple Xeon mainboards. Decent used Xeons can sometimes be picked up for next to nothing on eBay if you're lucky enough a company just did a server upgrade Sice Xeon's are built for long life under heavy load they are often replaced long before they are bust.
    I would up the memory to 32 GB though. That's what I did anyway and even then I'm sometimes running out of memory... on the other hand I'm using an i7 4770k with Adobe software so it might be different for your workflow.
    The cats are watching us...

If you have good budget I would suggest you to go for MacBook Pro, but if you are looking for some cheap and affordable laptops then you can explore these suggestions of the best laptop for video editing.

Quote Originally Posted by tonykakkar View Post
    If you have good budget I would suggest you to go for MacBook Pro, but if you are looking for some cheap and affordable laptops then you can explore these suggestions of the best laptop for video editing.
    Or better yet, don't. Did you even read the first post? The OP said that he is replacing a PC not a laptop and he also mentions that budget is always a problem so why on earth would you suggest Apple and laptops in general? Or are you simply trying to drive traffic to your own article
    Lastly this post is almost four months old... of course there's still a good chance that the OP is still looking to buy but it's quite an old post nonetheless so probably not really worth bumping up again.
    Sure, if this thread was about searching advice to get a video laptop your suggestions would have been useful though try keeping it relevant
    The cats are watching us...

Ryzen CPUs all the way. The multiple threads on that beast can handle both video editing and multi-tasking.