Thread: Canon mvi

Default Canon mvi

Hey, guys! I have CANON EOS 1100D which records videos in MVI format. So, I want to start to edit those videos (to cut them, make transitions, etc.). Therefore, I have to choose some software for video editing that could work with MVI format. You know what I mean? I want to import MVI format files in some software and edit it.

My question is: does anyone know some affordable software that could be used for MVI?

Thanks a lot!
    Hope to hear someone`s experiences, opinions...

Probably best to convert the MVI files to something else first..then you should be able to use any video editing software with your converted files
    Looks as if THIS FREE CONVERTER can do that

Thank you for your answer, but I honestly don`t understand the point of rich, lossless MVI format if I destroy its richness by conversion. That`s why I ask for a software that use MVI directly.

Thanks again for your answer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djordje View Post
    Thank you for your answer, but I honestly don`t understand the point of rich, lossless MVI format if I destroy its richness by conversion. That`s why I ask for a software that use MVI directly.
    First, you need to understand that MVI isn't a format as such, it's a container. The important part is the codec used to compress the files within the MVI file.
    From what I can discover, the 1100D uses the H264 codec. This is a great codec for playback but not so great for editing (as it is highly compressed) and it is certainly not lossless:

(from http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T3/T3VIDEO.HTM
    "The Canon T3 records its movies as MOV files using variable bitrate MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 compression, which is much more conservative of memory card space than the Motion JPEG format used by some cameras, and avoids some of the severe image quality loss suffered by AVCHD cameras when faced with significant amounts of change in image content between frames. (AVCHD uses a subset of the H.264 standard, among other things mandating a limit in recording bandwidth, which translates into a lesser ability to convey rapidly-changing detail.) The choice of H.264 comes with the requirement of greater processing power, though -- not only from the camera when recording, but also when playing back or editing videos. The more sophisticated encoding used in the H.264 standard requires quite a bit of processor power to pull it apart and put it back together again, so frame-accurate editing of H.264 requires a fast processor and capable editing program.")

Converting this to a format designed for editing as recommended by rogs will create a bigger file and will certainly not deteriorate the quality so long as you choose parameters carefully (eg converting your 1280x720 images to 640x480 would obviously be a bad idea).
    Tim

@TimStannard Thank you so much for your answer. I can see now why my information research was so unsuccessful. My effort to find information about Canon MVI format wasn`t successful because MVI is not a format but a container and I was typing "CANON MVI format". I still don`t understand the difference between format and container but you gave me a great suggestion for new investigation.

Thank you very much.

I will have to think twice before buying some software for video-editing. You told me that MOV isn`t good for video editing but I really don`t mean to do something complicated. I just want to cut videos, merge them, make some transitions, import titles and maybe subtitles.

So, if you have enough time and if you know sth about it, please tell me if you think that it`s possible to work with MOV files for that purpose. You know, I don`t want to adjust colors and to use some complicated effects.

Just to clarify, what is the extension in your Canon files? Are your files named something like MVI_****.MOV or is there a .MVI instead of .MOV as the extension? Otherwise read (as you did) carefully the TimS post.

Vkmast, you`re right. Thank you for your comment. Yes, my files are named like "MVI.....MOV". So, my question was kind of stupid. I actually don`t have MVI format. These days I am going to listen about difference between format and container, about codecs, extensions and so on. I am absolute begineer so please forgive me if I ask something stupid as I did. Thanks again for your help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djordje View Post
    Vkmast, you`re right. Thank you for your comment. Yes, my files are named like "MVI.....MOV". So, my question was kind of stupid. I actually don`t have MVI format. These days I am going to listen about difference between format and container, about codecs, extensions and so on. I am absolute begineer so please forgive me if I ask something stupid as I did. Thanks again for your help.
    You didn't ask something stupid at all. You asked something which indicated your ignorance. If you weren't ignorant of something you wouldn't be asking a question, right? So, asking the question is precisely the opposite of stupidity.

Having got that our of the way, if you can find someone who is able to explain breifly and in simple terms the difference between various codecs and containers, I suspect you've found someone who is lying. It's not hellishly complex, but from what little I know about it, there's a lot about it. The video I link to here is one of the best I've come across. Mike Miller breaks it all down into simple terms - butr as a result this runs for nearly 45 minutes. Don't expect to take it all in in one sitting. Don't expect to need more than a fraction of this. But it is useful just to get an idea of what all these numbers and all this jargon means.

This was created specifically for HitFilm but the information covered relates to codecs and formats rather than software and so is generic.

I
    Tim