Thread: House Fire video with a bit of narration

Default House Fire video with a bit of narration

Wynn Stedders has been encouraging me to try adding some narration to my drone videos. Before I had a chance to do that, there was a house fire in our neighborhood. After I called in the fire department, I shot some footage and put together a brief video. So this is my first attempt at V/O. (It's also my first time using my new USB mic.)

I was in a bit of a hurry when I did this so I didn't write anything out. I just recorded some comments that seemed appropriate, and recorded another take where needed. Anyway, let me know what you think.

2. Default

Well done Ray. A real exciting bit of footage. That bit of VO certainly added to it. Did you submit it to your local TV station?
    Wynn.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure without searching back whether Wynn was suggesting adding narration (eg a voiceover) or narrative (a story/journey) to your footage. The latter is almost always appropriate whereas the former is only sometimes appropriate as it is here.

This short clip kept me engaged and the narration definitely keep me there. The conclusion is exactly what we wanted to hear (was anyone hurt etc). The "script" was factual, brief and on message (is that even a phrase?). A good piece for reporting from the scene of the action.

The follow up (should you ever be inclined) , which would be a more in depth report, should include:
    Stabilize the footage
    Shots of the aftermath
    Explanation as to why they cut a hole in the roof. From my point of view, and I suspect other laymen, this seems counter intuitive - (a) it seems dangerous as it puts the fire crew directly in line of the flames (b) I would have expected them to go on low - at the bottom of the flames where the combustibles are combusting.
    Interview with a fire officer
    Interview with house holder.

But please don't set light to any more neighbours' houses just in order to practice your skills
    Tim

Thanks so much for your comments! It's very helpful to receive such feedback.

Regarding the holes in the roof -- I didn't know it then, but have since been informed that it makes it easier to fight the fire. Cutting openings in the roof allows heat and smoke to escape, so that the firefighters can attack it safely from below.

Blog Entries

Cheers. Thanks for the info. Now we know
    Tim