Thread: new person with an old problem

Default new person with an old problem

Hello,
    I just know this will be a problem that has been covered. I have read the threads about it but cannot seem to find the answer I need. I ask for your patience to a permanoob.
    I have windows 10. Adobe premiere elements 14. I also have an old NV-DS 11 panasonic mini dv camcorder. I added a firewire card to the computer and I now wish to capture the videos I have made before the kids grew another five and a half feet taller. Needless to say nothing works anymore when I ran elements 14 , the video and tried to capture. I downloaded a legacy driver from microsoft called 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), installed it but it made no difference. I looked in the device manager but it did not show up in there. The original texas instruments host controller is all there is and when i try to update it to the legacy software it ignores it and window tells me I have the best software already installed. I also downloaded a little program that may have worked with the thought that adobe probably ignores mini dv as well.
    Can anybody help me out here?

I’d find someone with a Mac and get them to download it for you

I think you are saying microsoft is rubbish am I not. There's a news flash if ever I heard one. The worlds greatest oxymoron- Microsoft help!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I’d find someone with a Mac and get them to download it for you
    When was the last time you saw a Mac with a firewire adapter? Apple simply ignore legacy hardware.
    renlec, I don't now what to suggest. The TI chipset is the "standard" for firewire ao I'm really supprised you're having this problem. I have an older PC with a TI firewire card which I keep purely for the purpose of capturing my old DV tapes. It runs Windows 7. Never tried it with Windows 10.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by renlec View Post
    Hello,
    I just know this will be a problem that has been covered. I have read the threads about it but cannot seem to find the answer I need. I ask for your patience to a permanoob.
    I have windows 10. Adobe premiere elements 14. I also have an old NV-DS 11 panasonic mini dv camcorder. I added a firewire card to the computer and I now wish to capture the videos I have made before the kids grew another five and a half feet taller. Needless to say nothing works anymore when I ran elements 14 , the video and tried to capture. I downloaded a legacy driver from microsoft called 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), installed it but it made no difference. I looked in the device manager but it did not show up in there. The original texas instruments host controller is all there is and when i try to update it to the legacy software it ignores it and window tells me I have the best software already installed. I also downloaded a little program that may have worked with the thought that adobe probably ignores mini dv as well.
    Can anybody help me out here?
    Tech companies just looove to cut support to "dated" hardware.... that said you could try to find a work around with a "Linux on a stick" just boot up a Linux OS that has good support for the hardware installed and use that to transfer the files. There's also options of getting a bootable Windows 7 version on a flash drive but you'd need a Windows 7 installation disk and if you had that you could theoretically just install Windows 7 on a separate partition just to move the files over fire wire...
    Anyway if you would like to go for Windows 7 "on a stick" here's a pretty solid guide as far as I can tell: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...ive-must-read/
    The cats are watching us...

I run Windows 10 and have firewire that works so it's possible. If the fire wire is on a separate card as you say, you could try taking it out boot up the computer without it. Then shut down and reinsert the card. That might be enough to kick start Windows into seeing it.