Thread: Fed Up With YouTube

Default Fed Up With YouTube

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum to broach this subject, but here it is: I buy music tracks for my videos through a Royalty-Free music service (smartsound.com) which are sold on a non-exclusive basis for rights to use. For over a year now, almost EVERY time I post a video, some leech like AdRev files a copyright claim for third-party use of the music. I have fought back with a dispute each time and eventually the claim is removed, "eventually" is the operative word. It is not in their interest to take immediate corrective action. Furthermore, by the speed at which claims are made, it is clear that they have some form of audio scanning arrangement with YouTube to scan all new uploads before the "processing" is finished. And, of course, if you don't dispute the claim, your video can stay up but they get a banner placement on your video and monetize it.

I've grown tired of the aggravation and effort involved to pursue and dispute claims and I am now migrating the bulk of all future platform placements to Vimeo. In addition to being freed from the money-grabbing leeches of AdRev and Google in themselves, Vimeo also gives very high-quality playback resolution, unlike YouTube's Flash resolution (which sucks). They only drawback to Vimeo is that users are restricted to the amount of bandwidth they can use per-week, unless you purchase one of their plans. Recently, I upgraded from the free service to the "plus" service which, for now, meets my requirements.

I am wondering if there are other forum members who are experiencing similar problems with YouTube and have switched to another video hosting service? Thanks.

Blog Entries

It's a right royal pain. You do the right thing by licencing the music then some money grabber tries to stop you. When I had a video with SmartSound music flagged, I got on to SmartSound themselves as they own the copyright and they sorted it for me. The mechanism for identifying the music is no doubt very different now but given how quickly the music is identified, you wouldn't have thought it was beyond the bounds of possibility that it could be matched against libraries of RF music. I suspect these services simply don't want to. In between the time it takes for them to identify the track and you successfully getting the banner removed they will be getting loads of "hits" -in many cases more than in the rest of the lifetime of the video, so they have no incentive to pull the banners.

It sucks.

You miss one important reason for using YouTube - say to theman in the street "Search for worddigger on YouTube" or some such similar phrase and they will know what to do - they only really have to remember the variable "worddigger" (or whatever serach term you use). Say "Vimeo" and they then have to remember both Video and worddigger and are less likely to find your film.

Another problem I have with Vimeo is I often find it very difficult to find videos I know are there - maybe even those I saw only a couple of weeks previously. The search algorithms in YouTube seem vastly superior.

If your views are mainy by people you send links to, then there's no doubt Vimeo is superior.
    Tim

Blog Entries

My missus uses Vimeo and, in many ways, they do seem "better" but I have to agree with Tim about finding stuff on Vimeo.
    Even if you put in the wife's name you still get hits from people which are nothing to do with her and not all of her videos come up.

Youtube is a lot better known but it does seem for those "in the know" Vimeo is a more high class platform.

My only problem is that the word "Vimeo" for me always triggers a response where I think of "Vimto", the soft drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    My missus uses Vimeo and, in many ways, they do seem "better" but I have to agree with Tim about finding stuff on Vimeo.
    Even if you put in the wife's name you still get hits from people which are nothing to do with her and not all of her videos come up.

Youtube is a lot better known but it does seem for those "in the know" Vimeo is a more high class platform.

My only problem is that the word "Vimeo" for me always triggers a response where I think of "Vimto", the soft drink.
    I also agree with Tim, it is very easy to find stuff on YouTube. I can also load up very long videos (like hour-long shows or lectures) on Youtube but not on Vimeo due to storage limitations on the latter. So, even though YouTube and the music licensing issues are, indeed, a Royal Pain in the [expletive deleted}, there are tradeoffs to be considered. I guess I should just shut my mouth and be thankful I have options across two different platforms.

I find YouTube useful for sharing videos - on several occasions I have been able to show our vet what is wrong with our cat or goose or horse - I know people share things with each other using google plop or whatever, but YouTube is easy - when you use other sites either you need passwords or the links expire or blah blah blah

I am also almost at $100 in ad revenue since 2006 so I should have a cheque in the next 30days

yes the copyright thing is a scam - some LLC in New York bought some song rights - not a real music company but rather a bunch of lawyer twats - the software match casts a very wide net and while YouTube does settle in favour of the real artist (ie myself), the lawyer twats count on 99% of people not bothering to complain

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    I YouTube's Flash resolution (which sucks). y:
    Really ?
    cant say i agree there.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Yeah I know the auto claims. I always device a standard disclaim text in my defence which is somewhere in the lines of:
    "The song used in my vid is royalty free. Source: <insert source here>"
    ...and then I simply wait 30 days like ordering something from china ^.^
    Never drove me away but patience is a virtue's what "they" say

In regards to quality... 4K YouTube vids look pretty good to me... oh and one of the things dabble in is slowTV and relaxation vids with files often approaching 100GB so Vimeo really isn't an option for me (unless my viewers can cover my costs... which they currently don't... so yeah... ).
    The cats are watching us...