Thread: Storage questions

Default Storage questions

Currently I have an iMac with a 3 TB internal hard drive. I use Time Machine to back everything up to a pair of 6 TB external drives.

Since I started getting into shooting and editing video, I'm rapidly filling up my internal drive. It's already about 2/3 full. I know i need more storage but I'm not sure what kind or how to keep it backed up. I can't put a larger drive into the iMac.

I've heard people say they keep their video data on a separate drive, so it's not using up all their internal drive, but I don't know how that would work. Can Time Machine back up data that's not on the internal drive? What if you can't keep it plugged in to the iMac all the time? There are only so many USB ports and they're already in use.

Any guidance on this stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly it IS possible to put a bigger storage in an iMac. I've done this about a year ago for a friend who didn't want to do it himself.
    That is however just a temporary solution.

Get external hard drives. Use them to archive your work when you're done with that project.
    Don't use Time Machine to move the files to your external hard drive, use Finder. Once you have moved the files you can disconnect the external hard drive and put it on a shelf.
    Another option that allows for more frequent access to your external files is a network drive. Needless to say this costs a little more but then again you also get more.

It boils down to:
    1. You only want to archive your work and don't plan to access them frequently: Normal external HD solution
    2. You frequently want to access your work: Network HD solution

Let us know which choice suits your needs and we can go further in depth. (Or go to the nearest Apple store and ask the "genius" at the counter
    )
    The cats are watching us...

Thanks. I think I'll go the archive route for now...move all the older files to a couple external drives just to free up some room on the internal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dunakin View Post
    Thanks. I think I'll go the archive route for now...move all the older files to a couple external drives just to free up some room on the internal.
    Wise plan

Blog Entries

Remember always have at least two copies of anything you don't ever want to lose.
    Wise words I once read:

When you have a master and a backup and your master becomes corrupt, you no longer have a backup.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Remember always have at least two copies of anything you don't ever want to lose.
    Yeap, hard drives are not forever. Unless you are ok potentially losing the data down the road once it is in storage, you have to adopt a standard of always having 2 copies of your stuff. (And even then, a hard drive sitting in storage cannot be expected to be functional past 10 years or so - it probably will be, but don't assume or expect it.)

That means that if you start putting things in external drives, you want to make 2 copies (so 2 mirrored external drives). There are 2 ways you can go about that:
    1. Buy 2 identical drives, then copy your files to one and use software to mirror the other (or manually copy to both).
    2. Use a desktop raid system. These days these are pretty easy to use - you basically buy a box that's about $100-$150 and accepts 2 drives. You load the 2 identical drives and configure the machine to use mirroring, and the machine takes care of the rest. On your computer it appears as 1 drive, but the box is silently making copies of all your files.

When the drives fill up you have 2 options:
    1. Put the drives away and start again with new drives
    2. Consolidate and reduce your backups to save space

I know of a video production company that got tired of needing large rooms full of drive storage. Their process now is to get rid of the raw files once the project is completed, approved and delivered. For small projects they just keep the high-res export, for other projects they keep a bit more but dump most of the raws and unnecessary takes. They end up saving something like 90% of the drive storage space. However, I was just talking to the guy and he showed me some work they did 3 years back that they need to touch up for reuse, and they probably can't do it because they dumped the original source files thinking they wouldn't need them again.

For the studio that I work for.

We actually perform triple back ups.

The first two backup are done on Red Giant Offload. Once both drives are full, we copy one of the drive to a third drive.

For drives we use 2TB Sata Drives. Segate is cheapest. We found, drives bigger than 2TB tend to fail more, regardless of brand.

Our backups are save in different physical locations. Just in case of fire and theft.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedd View Post
    For the studio that I work for.

We actually perform triple back ups.

The first two backup are done on Red Giant Offload. Once both drives are full, we copy one of the drive to a third drive.

For drives we use 2TB Sata Drives. Segate is cheapest. We found, drives bigger than 2TB tend to fail more, regardless of brand.

Our backups are save in different physical locations. Just in case of fire and theft.
    I've had two Seagate drives fail on me after the second time I gave up on Seagate. You guys had any issues with them yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    I've had two Seagate drives fail on me after the second time I gave up on Seagate. You guys had any issues with them yet?
    I feel like it is all a crapshoot. Toshiba, Seagate, etc. For consumer drives it is a model-by-model thing more like a brand thing.

I had a Toshiba drive start to fail on me last year after 5 years of service, so to replace it I did a lot of research and this is my current storage drive:
    HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 4 TB
    http://amzn.to/2syw4CL

Basically I'm recommending that you buy drives designed for commercial storage (on business servers). They are designed to take abusive usage, generally live longer and have longer warranties.

HGST/Hitachi is a good manufacturer and I saw various reports/tests that showed the life expectancy is solid. That particular drive is rated for 2 million hours with 5-year warranty, and it is pretty fast at 7200 RPM. I got mine for less than $150, and it looks like it went down more ($109 at the time of this writing), so you are getting a good deal too. Basically no downside: longer life, fast and cheap.

The negative is supposed to be the noise level. Server drives don't focus on quiet operation, but TBH my HGST drive doesn't seem much louder than my previous Tobisha drive. I do hear it when it starts spinning (I notice it more because my primary drive is SSD), but it is a faint nearly enjoyable sound that acts as a gentle notification that the machine is dealing with files. So no issue with noise with this particular drive although other commercial drives may be different. You can generally find the noise level in the detailed specs for the serial number; mine was rated at just a hair louder than your average home pc drive.

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    I feel like it is all a crapshoot. Toshiba, Seagate, etc. For consumer drives it is a model-by-model thing more like a brand thing.

I had a Toshiba drive start to fail on me last year after 5 years of service, so to replace it I did a lot of research and this is my current storage drive:
    HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 4 TB
    http://amzn.to/2syw4CL

Basically I'm recommending that you buy drives designed for commercial storage (on business servers). They are designed to take abusive usage, generally live longer and have longer warranties.

HGST/Hitachi is a good manufacturer and I saw various reports/tests that showed the life expectancy is solid. That particular drive is rated for 2 million hours with 5-year warranty, and it is pretty fast at 7200 RPM. I got mine for less than $150, and it looks like it went down more ($109 at the time of this writing), so you are getting a good deal too. Basically no downside: longer life, fast and cheap.

The negative is supposed to be the noise level. Server drives don't focus on quiet operation, but TBH my HGST drive doesn't seem much louder than my previous Tobisha drive. I do hear it when it starts spinning (I notice it more because my primary drive is SSD), but it is a faint nearly enjoyable sound that acts as a gentle notification that the machine is dealing with files. So no issue with noise with this particular drive although other commercial drives may be different. You can generally find the noise level in the detailed specs for the serial number; mine was rated at just a hair louder than your average home pc drive.
    5 Years for a HDD is quite acceptable, both my Seagates failed within 3 years though I suspect it's probably bad luck as well I used Seagates probably since 2004 and those last two might just have been a bad batch...
    I also switched to HGST and recently bought a Toshiba but not from the budget range so fingers crossed it will survive until I upgrade again
    In regards to noise it helps a bit if you use grommets in your HDD assembly which prevent the vibrations to be passed on to the chassis. That's a bit nit picky though