Thread: My latest

Blog Entries

Default My latest

Every now and again Iíll film something that doesnít include my family. This is the latest.

Blog Entries

VERY nice, Marc. There seemed to be four separate films, each about the right length for people like me, stuck together for the enthusiasts.

You appear to have had access to a lot of footage: most was excellent but that rather emphasised the one or two less excellent shots. Knowing your ruithless approach I can only assure these were shots you had to use.
    What kit were you using for the steadycam type shots? The low down "dolly" shots might have been on a skateboard or more likely a trolly of some sort, but o I recall you have an Osmo? All impressive , anyway.

What I most enjoyed about this though was you editing. Most people wouldn't notice it, I suspect, because it does what good editing shoud do - makes the film flow and dictates the pace of the production. It got to a point where I was I was looking for the motivation behind every cut - and just about every cut WAS motivated. I don't know whether this is studied or you just have a natural feel for it, but whatever it is, it works. Excellent piece.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Hi Tim, thanks for taking the time to watch and comment. You’re right, this was four short videos put together - it was shown at an end of year dinner for the club.

I used a number of different tools in the video:
    - a skater dolly in the garages
    - my trusted slider for some of the pit wide shots
    - a traveller crane for two of the shots
    - a ronin m for tracking shots of people and cars in the pit area
    - a shoulder mount for filming cars on track

its still a learning experience for me (where to stand, what to film, what tools to use etc) - I think it’s one of those things that I’ll always be learning no matter how much I do it.

Editing wise it was a bit frantic to get it all done. Again, I think I’ll always be Learning here! Most of it flows without much thought (other than the basics like telling a story, avoiding jump cuts and working with music). Sometimes you also get lucky. But 10% has me labouring. I’ll spend a while continually tweeting certain effects or cuts until I can’t see them any more. When watching back I change anything that sticks out.

Looks nice. Good shots, good cuts nice background audio. In my opinion too long to just watch on a spare moment but I can imagine this playing as a screen filler at a racetrack lounge or something.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

Marc,

Didn't you say something once about having acquired too much kit

Great to see it all put to good use - and it must help justify it to Mrs P
    Tim