Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to turn someone into a ghostly visage

I've had a quick look at one or two online tutorials for clone stamps and After Effects, but I've not found anything so far close enough to what I attempted to be able to relate.... unless I'm missing something fundamental here..

One problem I found was that, as well as the fishermen moving in every frame, so does the aircraft. And it has some distinctive sharp lines - for example - which need to be restored into a different place in each frame.

So covering the parts of the fisherman in front of the plane with the appropriate 'cloned' part of the aircraft image needed to be different for every frame, simply because the plane got bigger every frame, as well as being in a different spot in the frame.

And that needed to be done reasonably accurately for every frame to look even half way convincing. (Don't look too closely at the finished clip -- it's not perfect!)

The guy on the left was easier, but you can't simply clone a single section of the spray and dump it where he was....I tried that and it no longer looks like 'moving' spray.

So it would seem that there are several things at once that need to be cloned and tracked -- and I still can't get my head round how that is achieved in After Effects ....I need to go and look at some more tuts I think :- )

Quote Originally Posted by rogs View Post
    I've had a quick look at one or two online tutorials for clone stamps and After Effects, but I've not found anything so far close enough to what I attempted to be able to relate.... unless I'm missing something fundamental here..

One problem I found was that, as well as the fishermen moving in every frame, so does the aircraft. And it has some distinctive sharp lines - for example - which need to be restored into a different place in each frame.

So covering the parts of the fisherman in front of the plane with the appropriate 'cloned' part of the aircraft image needed to be different for every frame, simply because the plane got bigger every frame, as well as being in a different spot in the frame.

And that needed to be done reasonably accurately for every frame to look even half way convincing. (Don't look too closely at the finished clip -- it's not perfect!)

The guy on the left was easier, but you can't simply clone a single section of the spray and dump it where he was....I tried that and it no longer looks like 'moving' spray.

So it would seem that there are several things at once that need to be cloned and tracked -- and I still can't get my head round how that is achieved in After Effects ....I need to go and look at some more tuts I think :- )

Yeah clone stamping alone won't get you all through the clip, that's true. It will be most helpful with the water part. One thing that might help is to lock the shot down with tracking points on the rocks. You'd still need to mask the bit with the heads overlapping the plane but that's just a few frames.
    The cats are watching us...

I like your walkthrough. !

ok, I just came back from a convention and now getting back into the swing of things. hopefully have an update this week for all of you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12