Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 16:9 Ratio

Default 16:9 Ratio

If I want to make a JPEG 16:9 Widescreen do I make it 640x360 Pix?

I want to make a lot of JPEGs and have them all Widescreen Ratio and I will be adding a Voice Over.

I am in the USA so I do know DVD NTSC Display Ratio is 720x480.
    And yes I do understand even if you are watching a 16:9 video on a DVD that the whole picture even the black Bars on top and bottum everything togather is Displaying at 720x480.
    Thanks

Yes, 640x360 is a 16:9 aspect ratio.

There's a lot of online tools for aspect ratio calculations: https://calculateaspectratio.com
    The cats are watching us...

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have very very Bad Eyes so it is easyer for me just to ask a Q/A and then have sombody tell me.
    I Hope this is ok?

Now if I want to make a JPEG 16:9 I make it 640x360 Pix.
    But what if I want to make a JPEG 4:3 what is it for this?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    Thank you for getting back to me.

I have very very Bad Eyes so it is easyer for me just to ask a Q/A and then have sombody tell me.
    I Hope this is ok?

Now if I want to make a JPEG 16:9 I make it 640x360 Pix.
    But what if I want to make a JPEG 4:3 what is it for this?

Thanks.
    No problem!
    4:3 would be either 640x480 or 480x360 depending on your desired screen height.

You can start out with any resolution though... you could for example also do 6000x4500.

You could see 4:3 as: Height = (Width/4)*3 so for example if you want your picture be 800 wide you need to make it 800/4=200 --> 200*3= 600 sooo 800x600 is als a 4:3 aspect.

I hope this clears things up a bit

Thanks again.

Because of my Bad Eyes I can not see any Check Box that says Send Reply To My E Mail or anything like this.
    I have to keep coming back here to check if I get any Replys.

Can you please tell me where I need to look?

Firstly check if your e-mail is correct in settings and also check your spam/junkmail folder in your e-mail client. I suspect you should get e-mail notifications by default. Otherwise continue reading.

Under "Settings" (top right corner) go to General Settings (lower left under My Settings -> My Account)
    Then in General Settings you want to find Messaging & Notifications. If you set the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" to "Instantly, using email" you should get a notification mail whenever there is a reply to the thread you created.

Since you already created this thread that might not work though. What you can do in that case is go to "Settings" (top right corner) then go to "My Subscriptions" and find the thread "16:9 Ratio" in the list (probably the first entry). Check what is says under "Notification". If it says "Instant" you should be getting e-mail notifications already. If not you can check the checkbox behind it and then scroll down to the "Selected Threads" button and click it. Then select "Instantly, using email" under "Update Subscription Type" and then press the little "Go" button on the bottom of the menu.

Thanks for all the help.

Now I do have one thing to ask about JPGs16:9 and 4:3 RES.

If I want to make a JPG as 16:9 Widescreen I make it 640 Wide by 360 PIX.
    But if I want to make a JPG as 4:3 I make it 640 Wide by 480 PIX.

Why is the 16:9 and the 4:3 Wide both the same 640 PIX?
    I thought a JPG Widescreen would be Wider then 640 or what am I missing with JPGs?

Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks for all the help.

Now I do have one thing to ask about JPGs16:9 and 4:3 RES.

If I want to make a JPG as 16:9 Widescreen I make it 640 Wide by 360 PIX.
    But if I want to make a JPG as 4:3 I make it 640 Wide by 480 PIX.

Why is the 16:9 and the 4:3 Wide both the same 640 PIX?
    I thought a JPG Widescreen would be Wider then 640 or what am I missing with JPGs?

Thanks again for all the help.
    That's because 16:9 is only the mathematical notation that tells us the difference between the width and the hight (or better put, the ratio). 16:9 does not say anything about the amount of pixels.
    Neither does widescreen tell us anything about the pixels other than the fact that the width is "substantially" longer than the height. There is a whole number of ratios that are considered wide screen. For example 16:10 is also considered widescreen, as is 2:1. In fact the smallest widescreen possible is just two pixels next to each other.

Today's most important resolutions for digital video (aspect ratios) are HD and the upcoming 4K. HD is standardised to 1980x1020 and is a 16:9 ratio. 4K is NOT standardised and is mostly split into DCI and UHD. DCI is the only true and original 4K resolution which is 4096 pixels wide and 2160 pixels high giving it a 256:135 ratio which is actually wider than 16:9! UHD is only 3840 pixels wide and 2160 pixels high which makes it 60 pixels shy of crossing the 4K barrier. The 'K' in 4K stands for the latin "Kilo" meaning 1000 so 4K should be 4*1000 = 4000 pixels along one of the sides. It is therefore considered wrong to call UHD 4K according to the more pedantic purists. However UHD has a 16:9 ratio and because most broadcasted content is still HD nearly all the TV and monitor manufacturers have decided to stick to the 16:9 ratio so HD content would fill the screen entirely when scaled up. Sadly this trend is likely going to continue since the 8K resolution also has a 16:9 ratio making it only 7680 pixels wide instead of the 8000 that the 8K label implies.

I seem to have digressed a bit for the sake of completeness but I hope it answers the question and simultaneously increases your comprehension of aspect ratio.

I might be able to help you further if I knew to what purpose you need to know this. Are you making a film or video or are you making an image? For which display medium are you creating your project? And lastly, which resolution does your source material have?

Blog Entries

Because of my Bad Eyes I can not see any Check Box that says Send Reply To My E Mail or anything like this.
    I have to keep coming back here to check if I get any Replys.
    This is how it should be so that anyone interested can follow the discussion. Taking forum discussions to email is considered bad practice (unless it has become personal or has gone way off-topic)
    Tim

Tim, I'm sure the OP just means --- as Grapes interpreted it in his earlier comment --- that he needs email notifications of replies.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast