Thread: An Animated Documentary on the Prophet Muhammad

Default An Animated Documentary on the Prophet Muhammad

I made an animated documentary on the prophet Muhammad that is about an hour long.

To Catch a Prophet

Let me know what you guys think.

Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I made an animated documentary on the prophet Muhammad that is about an hour long.

To Catch a Prophet

Let me know what you guys think.
    Interesting format, Looks like there's quite a lot of work done to put it together. I wouldn't really call it animated though, it's more of a slide show or a powerpoint presentation. Still I bet that there's people who'd watch it for an hour.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

This appears (I only use that as I'm not going to watch for an hour - at least not at the moment) to be a simply told story of the life of Muhammad. As such it might be ideal for forming part of an RE syllabus in schools, or just for people who want to know more about the foundations of Islam in general.

The simple language used, the short sentences, the clearly spoken and cleanly recorded narration together with the images all combine to make this a very good teaching tool.

However an hour of this is far too long. The calm, matter of fact voice becomes "boring" after a while and there is a big danger the listener will just switch off. I think this might be better separated into a dozen or so 5 minute films to run as a series. Watch the first, discuss. Repeat.

I'm not sure the images are ideal for the subject although I do rather like them. The harsh black is rather sinister.

Like Grapes, I'm not sure I'd call it a video. In my world we would call this an AV (Audio Video) which is the combination of (mainly) still images and sound into some sort of structure (often telling a story). But what it's called doesn't really matter.
    Tim

I really appreciate your thoughts. While I hope that this is some what educational because there are a lot of facts I dont think it should be used in education because it is not a balanced perspective on Muhammad as it focuses on his evils and thus is biased because it is not balanced. Also it would not be appropriate because the very nature of it being a drawn depiction of Muhammad makes it upsetting to Muslims because they do not believe he should ever be depicted. Having said all this against my own work I think it still adds an important perspective often left out in traditional documentaries on the man.

I do agree my voice over should have been more catchy to keep 54 minutes of attention.

Thanks. I used index cards with a pen and a sharpie to make the images. Scanned them into my computer and used vegas 14 to edit. In the middle of the project vegas 15 came out and I finished of with 15 as I got a copy pretty early after its release. I agree its more like a power point then an animation. I honestly don't know how to go about animating so I just thought up a way in which I could attempt it and came up with this crazy method.

Nice video, thanks for sharing it with us.