Thread: Adding sound and animation to buttons in Encore

Default Adding sound and animation to buttons in Encore

Hi, is it possilbe to add a sound and a small film clip when a button is selected in the Encore menu ( for example i select a button in encore it makes a sound and plays a short intro clip then goes to another menu.)

I think the answer is Yes and No.

No in that you cannot attach a sound bite to play as a button is being pressed.

Yes in that any button press can be configured to play any clip you like. So, if you create a short animation that looks a bit like your menu then it will blend in (fairly) seamlessly. The end action of this short clip can then be to play another (maybe you main movie) clip or jump to another menu.

That's how everyone else does it.

Blog Entries

I'm thinking out aloud here, but couldn't ypu set the button click as an action and set the event to the sound file. Then have the end action of that event as the actual action you want.

Menu --> Button click --> Audio File --> Event

Afraid not! A button action must be either a 'timeline' or another menu. you can't (as far as I know) link to an individual asset.

Of course I've never tried creating a timeline with only audio on it. Presumably you would get a black screen while the sound played. I suspect that's not what you're after.

Blog Entries

but you could, say, have a video still of the background with that particular audio.

I was Watching a film called texas chainsaw masacaur on DVD and i liked the menu in it. when you pressed a button it made a chainsaw sound and then linked to another menu or film.
    Also before the menu was displayed there was a intro that linked directly to the menu without and blank screen gaps or pauses (if u know what i mean.) i have tried to do this but i didnt succeed. if this is not possible on Encore then is there a better DVD Authoring software that someone knows about that dosent have any restrictions on and is able to do what u like in it. Please if someone knows of 1 Please let me know. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    but you could, say, have a video still of the background with that particular audio.
    Yep. I reckon that was how they've been doing it. You will need a video clip mimicing the menu display.
    As for delayes and pauses. That's just life with DVD I'm afraid. I have manu manby purchased DVD where there is a noticable pause or skip between button presses and clip activation. POssibly just acase of the machine finding the right track on the disk but the delay is often there.

I do not think that you will find a package that will 'avoid' any delays. You will just have to produce your animations well enough to minimise their effect.

But you'll have to trust me that what you didn't have was a button press simply activated a sound over the top of the current menu. It would have simply been a new timeline mimicing the menu and havign the sound on it.

I know that Encore is not tbe be all of DVD production and you cannot produce everything that the DVD standard allows but it;s about as good as you'll get for small firms and hobbyists.