Thread: Probably a beaten dead horse, DVD Handycam and Pinnacle....?

Default Probably a beaten dead horse, DVD Handycam and Pinnacle....?

I have recently bought a DCR-DVD403. I have Pinnacle Studio 9 with the latest and greatest updates. I was using an older Handycam, a Hi8 camera, and it worked with Pinnacle absolutely flawlessly.

Now, I have to try to use the Sony program to save the video files from my DVD to the hard drive, and import them as MPEG files to Pinnacle. Pinnacle does not like this at all, as it usually locks the program, or it takes it FOREVER to implement any slight change I make in the timeline. Then, I give up on editing and just try to render a DVD, and it will get about half way through and lock up and do nothing.

Im out of patience, this should be an easy process, but for some reason its absolutely impossible to get to work right.

Now, I notice that when I save videos from the camera using the Sony program, half my screen on the bottom of the video is mostly green and pink lines. I have removed and reloaded the Sony program to no avail. Some of my first videos transferred clearly, but it seems to have just started this an I cant get it to work without the green bars at the bottom.

Im very disappointed in the ability to edit the video with this thing. I have a stack of DVD RW's full that I cant do anything with because I now cant save the video due to the green bar monster, and I cant edit them either.

What the hell do I do with this thing???? I want something that has at least the capabilities of Pinnacle 9 Studio, but it needs to be DVD Handycam friendly.

Can someone give me a good long lowdown of what to do, and spell it out real well for me, as Im such a noob to this whole editing thing... LOL.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help.......
    Computer:
    Dell 4700 2.8GHZ CPU, 1GIG RAM, Windows XP Media Center S.P.2, Pentium 4 HT, 80 GIG SATA internal, 300 GIG SATA internal, 160 GIG IDE External, Dual Layer DVD-R/RW and second DVD/CD ROM. Dell 17" UltraSharp LCD. Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.

Video Camera:
    Sony DCR-DVD403

Editing Programs:
    Pinnacle 9 Studio
    Windows Movie Maker
    Vegas Movie Studio + DVD

Blog Entries

MPEG editing isn't a feature of most editing applications. You could try MPEG Video Wizard:

Default Probably a beaten dead horse, DVD Handycam and Pinnacle....?

Hi RamThis

What format are the video files on your DVD RW's? I would stick to using either AVI or MOV for capture and editing and then when everything is done burn your masterpiece to DVD using mpeg. Personally speaking I wouldn't use Pinnacle and use something like Premier Elements or similar to get the job done.

Well, using the Sony software to get the video files off the disc, they show as MPEG files on my computer. Same with the video files I captured from the Hi8 camcorder, they also show as an MPEG file.

Thats why I dont understand why it works ok with the captured Hi8 files, and wont work with the captured DVD files.
    Computer:
    Dell 4700 2.8GHZ CPU, 1GIG RAM, Windows XP Media Center S.P.2, Pentium 4 HT, 80 GIG SATA internal, 300 GIG SATA internal, 160 GIG IDE External, Dual Layer DVD-R/RW and second DVD/CD ROM. Dell 17" UltraSharp LCD. Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.

Video Camera:
    Sony DCR-DVD403

Editing Programs:
    Pinnacle 9 Studio
    Windows Movie Maker
    Vegas Movie Studio + DVD

5. Default

why are you using a sony program to get them off ?

If they were put on using a sony program it may have encoded them to only work with a sony editing program.

I use a sonylaptop to capture using sony software, and then use pinacle to edit with no problems.
    Live from Norwich !

Sony PC1000E ( Stopped working after 13months)
    Sony HDR-HC3 4Mega Pixels High Def Mini DV Broke
    Canon HF 10 - Broke
    iPhone4 Sport
    Waiting for the Sony HDR-GW55VE

Avid Studio, + Pinnacle Studio14, Win7 64bit 12 GIG memory, Nvidia GTX590, twin 3D display, 2Terrabyte HD