Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the old paper mill

1. Default the old paper mill

hey all i am a urban explorer photographer videographer but i do also enjoy many subjects this place was a amazing walk around and i got some amazing photos and good video enjoy i filmed this using a panasonic w570
    https://youtu.be/iCSfJDxuGCY

2. Default

Who, on this forum, is going to say what they honestly think of this? Oh dear! .
    Wynn.

Blog Entries

Ahh but that's what urban explorer videography is meant to look like. If you want to judge it by watchability standards you simply don't get it
    Tim

4. Default

Sorry Tim,
    Put it down to my age again. It's too late for me to learn now. .
    Wynn.

not necessarily Wynn. ive seen better urban exploration videos (check out the 28 days later website).. the film above isnt a great example. ... pretty much just somebody walking about with a phone i suspect.
    some of the urbex videos are stunning.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

6. Default

with a phone no actually this is filmed in 1080p full hd using a panasonic w570 camera
    not just walking around there is obviously no appreciation or no knowledge about urbex these buildings were a amazing walk around i wouldnt look at 28 days later all they do is TRASH places i simply photograph and leave

Blog Entries

Now here's an idea. Rather than join an established forum asking for comments on your videos and when you don't like them blaming the audience, why don't you try to explain what urbex is all about so we can get some idea?

Many of us come from a traditional school where lack of an obvious narrative, autoexposure causing blooming and wobbly shots, and "hosing", all of which are present in your submission, are considered poor form. So educate us and we can then make an informed decision as to how successful or otherwise your films are.
    Tim

8. Default

it does not take much to look up what it is does it? its in the title and not hard to work out urban and exploration
    wobbly shots that you can see where im walking and certainly not poor form. i was not blaming anyone but presuming i use a phone was not on you stated tim what it was so why are you getting funny with me as well?

i had a rig on me at the time a small handheld c shape rig and my monopod thats what i was using at the time not sure why everyone expects professional quality in everything using handheld camcorders and minimal equipment i have plenty more videos but this was one video that was filmed with lots of hidden gems like when i paused while my friend stood in the light i took a photo of that as it looked good i used as many different angles as i could to make it look good as i could without extra lighting
    next time i visit i will have extra lighting and a different rig and see how that goes
    i was hoping for some good feedback

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by essexmole View Post
    it does not take much to look up what it is does it?
    If we don't know what you are trying to achieve, how can we give you useful feedback? You came here asking for comments. Why give us extra work?

its in the title and not hard to work out urban and exploration
    So I've had a quick look on several sites. It appears that urbex (urban exploration) is exactly as the title implies. I have found absolutely nothing that suggests it is a style of videography/filmmaking. I was hoping there would be so I could comment on your film against those criteria.
    As there doesn't seem to be any specific criteria (which is what I was asking you for) I can only give you feedback based on the standards I would apply to any film I review.

Hence my comments about wobbly shots, auto exposure and hosing. All omnipresent in your film and all of which would be rejected by me unless there is reason to keep them.
    wobbly shots that you can see where im walking and certainly not poor form.
    but it is by my standards - hence my suggestion you explain what you mean by urbex filming.

I've just watched all 12 minutes of your film again. If I was commenting based on my own criteria (which has held me in good stead as a frequent judge in amateur film competitions/festivals).

1. The camera is all over the place making it impossible for the viewer to focus on any particular aspect
    2. The camera movement is rarely motivated (ie it doesn't direct the viewer's attention from "x" to "y"
    3. Many of the shots are just the movement between one place and another (ie they show nothing)
    4. There is no narrative (story) that I can discern to the film
    5. We don't have a clue where we are
    6. We don't have a clue what we are looking at
    7. It is impersonal - we don't know your "feelings" about the place
    8. Autoexposure "blooms"
    9. Wobbly shots
    10. We have all the information we can get from the film within the first minute - It is all very samey
    11. Although it ends with you apparently leaving the site, it just cuts abruptly
    12. There is no variety of pace
    13. It needs more of a soundtrack (audio being at least 50% of a film)

Or let's put it another way... if I was making a film about an abandoned building

I'd start with a wide establishing shot, a map and any signage
    I'd have a narration, possibly with the presenter on camera.
    I would include handheld shots following the narrator or moving from one room to another, but the majority would be non a tripod. I would use panning and a slider for smooth movement with minimal use of static shots.
    The narration would talk about what the building used to be, what it was use for, what the different rooms were - or, if unknown, what the narraton speculates they might have been used for.
    Where possible I would include personal thoughts about the building and what life might have been like for the people who lived/worked there.
    I might conclude with plans or speculation about what might happen to the building/site in the future.

Now, I'm pretty sure that's not the sort of documentary you are going for here - but you asked for comments and, given that I don't know your criteria, the best i can do is what I've done above.

One bit of advice which applies whatever your style - if you want views online, reduce your intro to about 2 seconds. Most people will skip the vid as soon as they see an intro that goes on and on.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 10-01-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    Tim

10. Default

ok well thats a bit of good feedback like i said i had minimal equipment while filming my doc the idea of urbex is that you dont give away where you are and that your sneaking into a building i was trying to experiment with shots and things like that and trying to get the feel of abandoned now as the start goes it was a house we then went into the storage areas and the main factory was the wooden building i did want to do narration but we were trying to be stealth and keep noise down but i will take these points on board thank you
    another point i will make is like i said it was handheld shots and some on my monopod then some of the c shape rig i have to steady it a bit more i selfie style shot 360 is on my monopod hence why a bit wobbly
    how about a few other videos i have made? if you look on my youtube i have various things i have made over the years i will record some audio for this video and try again with opinion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast