Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shielding a portable mic

I do most of my audio editing in audacity (because it's free and audio isn't really my thing anyway). You could give the following a try which has been useful for me a couple of times:
    https://itstillworks.com/12579485/ho...ho-in-audacity
    (I couldn't find the tutorial I used to follow when I did it last time but at a glance this seems to be the same)
    The cats are watching us...

2. Default

Last update, before I forget. I fiddled with this for a while and was meaning to fiddle more but I’ve reached a solution.

I tried one of these reverb remover tools with a trial version that lets you install the plugin and try it with your own audio. I felt that it was pretty finicky, and the range at which it will do a good job is very narrow. In an interview with a man and a woman, I could tweak it to clean up the man or the woman’s voice but not both, which means that one of them would end up getting chopped up and sounding weird. Still, my application was hard and I think that under an easier scenario there’s something to be said for the reverb remover, but don’t think of it as a sure shot until you’ve tried with your audio.

Then I followed some recipes for using standard audio tools and I felt I got a pretty good result. Using Audacity, and something simple like a mixture of (carefully configured) gate threshold, high-pass filter and EQ work I was able to get a pleasing result. Can’t share settings because it really depends on the audio itself and each situation will be different, but Grapes' article was a great starting point.

However, I edit video on PowerDirector and it has a noise reduction tool. It is stupid simple, no settings beyond giving it a strength number from 0 to 100. I find that this tool really mangles the audio at anything past 15 or so, but in the range of 1-10 it cleans up typical imperfections like background noise and even takes the edge off out of reverb.

So after trying these things, I felt that PowerDirector’s noise reduction tool set to 5-10 did near the same job I was getting out of Audacity playing with noise gate, high-pass and EQ. So that’s been my solution and now I’m happy with the audio –it has just a bit of that open hall feel without the oddness of too much empty-room reverb. Once you slap background music to it, everything feels natural.

You’re obviously trying to do a good job and have some good ideas

Can we have a look at your stuff? Might be easier to give proper advice

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    Last update, before I forget. I fiddled with this for a while and was meaning to fiddle more but Iíve reached a solution.

I tried one of these reverb remover tools with a trial version that lets you install the plugin and try it with your own audio. I felt that it was pretty finicky, and the range at which it will do a good job is very narrow. In an interview with a man and a woman, I could tweak it to clean up the man or the womanís voice but not both, which means that one of them would end up getting chopped up and sounding weird. Still, my application was hard and I think that under an easier scenario thereís something to be said for the reverb remover, but donít think of it as a sure shot until youíve tried with your audio.

Then I followed some recipes for using standard audio tools and I felt I got a pretty good result. Using Audacity, and something simple like a mixture of (carefully configured) gate threshold, high-pass filter and EQ work I was able to get a pleasing result. Canít share settings because it really depends on the audio itself and each situation will be different, but Grapes' article was a great starting point.

However, I edit video on PowerDirector and it has a noise reduction tool. It is stupid simple, no settings beyond giving it a strength number from 0 to 100. I find that this tool really mangles the audio at anything past 15 or so, but in the range of 1-10 it cleans up typical imperfections like background noise and even takes the edge off out of reverb.

So after trying these things, I felt that PowerDirectorís noise reduction tool set to 5-10 did near the same job I was getting out of Audacity playing with noise gate, high-pass and EQ. So thatís been my solution and now Iím happy with the audio Ėit has just a bit of that open hall feel without the oddness of too much empty-room reverb. Once you slap background music to it, everything feels natural.
    Good to hear that you got satisfying results! Why didn't you use Audacity's Noise Reduction though? http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/noise_reduction.html
    The cats are watching us...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12