Thread: Island Hopping in Greece

Default Island Hopping in Greece

Hello guys! Here is my video from this summer in Greece! I've been to the northern parts of Greece and several islands. hope you enjoy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CueBuyW6dWM

Blog Entries

This is a distinct improvement on last year's video of Thailand and Bali. The selection of shots is more varied - I loved some of the jumps between wide and extreme close up - and you didn't go overboard with the drone footage. The transitions were much more interesting - (last year I commented they became a bit hypnotic being frequently on the same beat). there was only one point where I thought they became a bit much 0:53 - 1:02 but the transition out of this to the train then the pigeons was really great. In fact that pigeon section, whilst only two or three shots, was a perfect example of a little narrative - something which last year's fil was lacking. Shots at 0:43 and 0:46 suffered from the W/A lens - they looked like a half hearted attempt at a Dutch Tilt until I looked closer.

Your shadow is in the shot at 3:16 (suddenly makes the whole thing look less professional

Many of my comments from last year I could repeat word for word

It might be nice to have included some ambient sound (I really wanted a few seconds of the musical instruments) - this can really add to the feeling of being there (and in your case, the memories of being there). Remember sound is at leat 50% of movies.
    and
    Whilst I can see (and appreciated) why there were so many shots from behind your girlfriend at one point early on I was getting a bit fed up of all the shots of the back of her head.
    (or in this case legs) How about some shots of her walking towards the viewer?

I also suggested:
    if you just edited more sympathetically with the content rather than the music it would make a massive improvement to the video.
    And you've really done that with this one.

Great job!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    This is a distinct improvement on last year's video of Thailand and Bali. The selection of shots is more varied - I loved some of the jumps between wide and extreme close up - and you didn't go overboard with the drone footage. The transitions were much more interesting - (last year I commented they became a bit hypnotic being frequently on the same beat). there was only one point where I thought they became a bit much 0:53 - 1:02 but the transition out of this to the train then the pigeons was really great. In fact that pigeon section, whilst only two or three shots, was a perfect example of a little narrative - something which last year's fil was lacking. Shots at 0:43 and 0:46 suffered from the W/A lens - they looked like a half hearted attempt at a Dutch Tilt until I looked closer.

Your shadow is in the shot at 3:16 (suddenly makes the whole thing look less professional

Many of my comments from last year I could repeat word for word

and
    (or in this case legs) How about some shots of her walking towards the viewer?

I also suggested:

And you've really done that with this one.

Great job!
    Thank you for the kind words! I always try to improve, but hey there's still a lot I need to work on. it is only my second video (I only do this as a hobby while being full time in university)! I would love to add more ambient music but I can't really afford a mic at the moment and the one implemented in the camera is really bad.

4. Default

I thought it was very good. You make easy work of recording in heavy sunlight.

For the purpose of constructive criticism:
    - I feel there's too much droning. Feels gratuitous in the sense that it doesn't seem to be framing the story but just added cause you have it (you may have had a story reason for it, if so I missed it more often than not.) A little droning is nice, too much and it takes over the theme of the video. Also, drone footage is lower-res in general, I know most people don't notice the quality details, but still it gives a general sense of degradation to the nicer tone being set by the richly detailed closer shots.

- I found the music annoying, but that's entirely subjective.

- The shots of the girl by the water seem to suddenly take a turn towards the lustful, whereas her introduction earlier in the video is with her back to the camera for several takes performing mundane exploration. Perhaps you meant this for a story purpose, as in: at first we were friends but later in the trip things got more intense...
    My points would be to
    1. keep in mind how characters are presented and what it says to the audience when you later change the way you show them
    2. If you didn't mean for the shot to seem sensual in nature, keep an eye on the length of the shots when showing skin or centering the attention on a bikini bottom. If you did mean a bit of a sensual touch to those scenes, still keep an eye on the overarching theme of the video to make sure you sprinkle with intention rather than lay with a heavy hand.

BTW, about your microphone issue: at minimum get a Takstar 598 shotgun, goes for less than $30. Makes recordings usable vs the in-camera audio that is often a disaster. Also, the Tascam DR05 is about $100 and records excellent audio (either built-in stereo mics or any 3.5mm mic you want to plug into it.)

Keep making videos!

Quote Originally Posted by jochicago View Post
    I thought it was very good. You make easy work of recording in heavy sunlight.

For the purpose of constructive criticism:
    - I feel there's too much droning. Feels gratuitous in the sense that it doesn't seem to be framing the story but just added cause you have it (you may have had a story reason for it, if so I missed it more often than not.) A little droning is nice, too much and it takes over the theme of the video. Also, drone footage is lower-res in general, I know most people don't notice the quality details, but still it gives a general sense of degradation to the nicer tone being set by the richly detailed closer shots.

- I found the music annoying, but that's entirely subjective.

- The shots of the girl by the water seem to suddenly take a turn towards the lustful, whereas her introduction earlier in the video is with her back to the camera for several takes performing mundane exploration. Perhaps you meant this for a story purpose, as in: at first we were friends but later in the trip things got more intense...
    My points would be to
    1. keep in mind how characters are presented and what it says to the audience when you later change the way you show them
    2. If you didn't mean for the shot to seem sensual in nature, keep an eye on the length of the shots when showing skin or centering the attention on a bikini bottom. If you did mean a bit of a sensual touch to those scenes, still keep an eye on the overarching theme of the video to make sure you sprinkle with intention rather than lay with a heavy hand.

BTW, about your microphone issue: at minimum get a Takstar 598 shotgun, goes for less than $30. Makes recordings usable vs the in-camera audio that is often a disaster. Also, the Tascam DR05 is about $100 and records excellent audio (either built-in stereo mics or any 3.5mm mic you want to plug into it.)

Keep making videos!
    Thank you for your input! happy you liked it in general. Regarding the fact that the drone shots were lower quality, I was completly aware of that. My drone got a problem right at the beginning of the trip which caused it to introduce an heavy amount of grain for no reason (as a result I've been force to apply noise reduction)... And since I like drone shots I decided to include them anyway. Also, the shots of the girl where intended to show another part of Greece since at first I was shooting in city/country side (beach, swimming ect) and not for lust like you said. I will look into the mic too. Have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by dreamteam View Post
    Hello guys! Here is my video from this summer in Greece! I've been to the northern parts of Greece and several islands. hope you enjoy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CueBuyW6dWM
    First of all, let me tell you that I really enjoyed that piece of work. I think you could dispense with the direct-overhead fully-vertical drone shots, but your scenery drone shots of Meteora and on Santorini looked really professional. Did I see a small amount of footage from Kavala? Anyway, having lived in northern Greece for a couple of years, I appreciated seeing some familiar places and your ground cinematography work was excellent. Overall you conveyed the fun, the sun and spirit of Greece.

I went back to Greece on a cruise tour back in 2009. I only had a nasty consumer-grade camera with me and a monopole for stability, but I made a tongue-in-cheek Travelogue about the cruise. Towards the end is footage about Santorini. Maybe you'll recognize some of the same places: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=DGbuvapmVdo

Again, good job.

Thank you for the kind words! Sadly I didn't go to Kavala :/ Also if you could resend the link to your video that would be nice because it doesn't seem to redirect to the right place!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamteam View Post
    Thank you for the kind words! Sadly I didn't go to Kavala :/ Also if you could resend the link to your video that would be nice because it doesn't seem to redirect to the right place!
    Try this one: