Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London Westminster 'Zey The Mouse' Episode 4 'Clara's Birthday' Animation.

Default London Westminster 'Zey The Mouse' Episode 4 'Clara's Birthday' Animation.

Hi, all

I would like to share my brand new episode of zey the mouse, after 1 year in the making
    it's been a lot of hard work, long nights and careful making in the progress building and editing!

The new episode is a more adult approach, with a storyline, with some politics and serious issues and fun!
    Lots of new characters and a friend's illustration turned into a character! 'Mr. Bear'.

The hand made sets include:

London Tube Train, Westminster Station, also (Working Escalators), Big Ben and House's of Parliament.

Ive put my heart and soul into this episode and i think this is my best effort so far.

Blog Entries

Ian, this looks really great. I think you've finally achieved the "look" that your hard work deserves. Vibrant colours, distinctive characters and superb sets (I particularly loved the escalator steps in this one - maybe not the most complex of your sets, but great for attention to detail).

Whilst keeping these great visuals, I think for the future you need to concentrate on improving the audio. Please don't bother explaining why you couldn't do things better this time, rather think about how you could do it better next.

1. Some voices were much softer than others and some of the music really blew my speakers when I compensated for the softer voices. Try to get all the voices at the same level (obvously allowing for deliberate whispers and shouts).
    2. Record voices in the same room and with the same equipment (or at least voices that are supposed to be talking in the same environment). For example 1:29 - "I hope he gets better" is clearly recorded differently from other voices in the scene. When you do this try to record the voices as "dry" as possible (use a room with lots of soft furnishings and/or under a duvet) - you can always add some reverb or ambience later, whereas you can't take it away.
    3. I liked the use of the sound effects like the trains but there is no ambient sound when the characters are speaking. Work with "layers" of sound so you have background sounds underneath the dialogue. Apart from adding some realism, this will help fill in the slightly awkward pauses between each character speaking.

Generally I did find it a bit X says this, Y says that with pauses in between each line. Using ambient sounds as above will help a little but i couldn't help thinking a few frames could have been cut between each line (though I appreciate this doesn't want to be particularly fast cut). One problem with puppets is you can only really indicate who is speaking by animating the speaker. This is fair enough, but you could add a bit more interest by not always showing the speaker - by, for example, cutting away from the speaker after they have started a line to someone listening (static) then back to the original speaker. Or (having clearly established the voices) show someone listening and then them responding. This helps avoid the "ping pong" effect of always showing the person speaking.

Of course some of these suggestions may not fit with your concept for "Zey the Mouse" and that's entirely up to you.

I think it looks great and now needs to sound great too
    Tim

3. Default

Hi Ian,
    I break into a sweat when I think of all the work you put into creating this video. Amazing. So VERY WELL DONE. Agree with Tim about the sound levels but overall a wonderful effort and something to be well proud of. Wynn

Hi, thank you both, for your comments, i always think about the sound and think on this episode that ive done a better job with it than past episode, but understand it can
    be difficult when working from a home setting, but glad you both enjoyed the film, i'm pleased with the result of this episode as in making it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ianharding View Post
    i always think about the sound and think on this episode that ive done a better job with it than past episode
    It is certainly an improvement - but the problem with getting things better is that the smaller problems become more apparent! It's the same with just about everything. The better you get, the more it seems you have to do to get even better.
    Tim

Hi, Tim, Yes that's always the case, fans have enjoyed the new episode so far, everyone has said it's amazing, and like the story and Claus Crocodile, i'm so thrilled with this episode and detail here's a newspaper article full page from friday just gone

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ianharding; 09-24-2017 at 06:16 PM.

I was watching Hectors house and Camberwick green earlier ( i guess you are a fan) and low behold there is no back ground ambient sound ... not quite how i remembered them

i agree with what tim says (and i seem to recall what we suggested with your last episode) in that some ambient audio would fill out those long silences... though im guessing your target audience wouldn't pick up on them

Great sets you must have plenty of patience !
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    I was watching Hectors house and Camberwick green earlier ( i guess you are a fan) and low behold there is no back ground ambient sound ... not quite how i remembered them
    Not how I remember them either. What an eye opener (or an ear opener)! I guess it goes to show how our expectations have changed over the years - to the extent that it is frequently difficult to make out the dialogue in current TV drama and films because of all the background sound and music.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post

Paddington Bear from the 1970's also didn't have background music, in the episodes. In my new zey episode, i have a lot more music and sound effects in places where needed,
    but i wanted to achieve the old classic stop motion animations, The EDP newspaper press came round yesterday to do a video interview and photo's etc, i'le put the link up when it's online.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Not how I remember them either. What an eye opener (or an ear opener)! I guess it goes to show how our expectations have changed over the years - to the extent that it is frequently difficult to make out the dialogue in current TV drama and films because of all the background sound and music.
    im beginning to wish i hadn't re visited hectors house .. i had only fond memory's .. i never realized what a cantankerous old bastard hector was
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast