Thread: The Friends of Dolphin - Trips for the disabled Poole Harbour, England

Default The Friends of Dolphin - Trips for the disabled Poole Harbour, England

First post so hopefully OK

My dad [Brian Rigler] died earlier this year and rather than people buy flowers we asked people to give money to a charity called The friends of dolphin. Some one suggested we all get together and make a video for them as dad's last job was making videos.

However the great British summer never arrived and after many cancelled days due to wind and rain I put the video together from video clips in my collection. So if the odd clip looks wrong, it was put together from around a dozen different shoots. We did get a late afternoon trip for some additional shots and once the video was finished summer arrived.

Blog Entries

A good script - plenty of information succinctly presented. A very friendly and simple text. Kevin spoke clearly and audio was well recorded. A good variety of appropriate images - mostly well composed and shot (and no sloping sea!). This should leave any potential users in little doubt as to what to expect. Perfect length. Well put together. Well done!

As you've posted in the section for critical analysis here are a few suggestions for improvements (in my opinion) if you make another version.
    Whilst the music was appropriately down in the mix, it was repetitive enough to become a little annoying. Consider different music for different sections of the video or a more varied piece.
    The shots of Kevin were overexposed in parts. As this is a posed shot, consider putting him in a less "contrasty" environment so you are able to expose him correctly without blowing out the background.
    The "Respect the Water" sign in reverse in the background was a distraction - it had me looking to see if you'd flipped the whole shot!
    The Picture in Picture seemed rather dated - and, for me, it's the wrong way round - I'd have the "interesting" image (ie what Kevin is talking about) filling the screen and Kevin reduced to the small image. (Of course it may be that the shots you showed in the smaller image were of a lower resolution and it was a way of getting them in).
    If you do ever get a chance to make another promo, see if you can get some shots of younger clients. I suspect that he majority of people who enjoy this sort of trip are elderly, but there are many younger disabled people who would enjoy a trip round the harbour (as many able bodied people do) and the concentration on seniors might be a bit off-putting.
    Tim

Thanks Tim for your feedback.

.>>>Whilst the music was appropriately down in the mix, it was repetitive enough to become a little annoying. Consider different music for different sections of the video or a more varied piece.

I only had the budget for one piece

>>> The shots of Kevin were overexposed in parts. As this is a posed shot, consider putting him in a less "contrasty" environment so you are able to expose him correctly without blowing out the background.

The was supposed to be a test piece and replaced later, the sun was coming in and out very quickly and the background exposure was changing during every take. Theres not much room on the boat and this was the only place where we could cut down the background noise.

>>>The Picture in Picture seemed rather dated - and, for me, it's the wrong way round - I'd have the "interesting" image (ie what Kevin is talking about) filling the screen and Kevin reduced to the small image. (Of course it may be that the shots you showed in the smaller image were of a lower resolution and it was a way of getting them in).

Your right, I was given a very low resolution shot and needed to fit it in.

>>> If you do ever get a chance to make another promo . . .

The plan was to shot the video with some younger people but due to so many cancelled trips due to bad weather a lot of the video was put together with "stock footage" mainly from my collection.

Many thanks for your feedback

Mark

4. Default

Yes, agree with most all of what Tim says. Can't think of anything else to add. A really lovely interesting video. Great job,

Re the music. There is plenty of totally free stuff to be had. You Tube have their own selection - I don't know if the video was on YT as I couldn't seem to see anything to show that it was. This is normally the case.
    Regards. Wynn.

Thanks Wynn, it is on youtube, that's where I get most copyright problems even when I own the rights
    Last edited by markrigler; 09-13-2017 at 03:47 PM.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by markrigler View Post
    Thanks Wynn, it is on youtube, that's where I get most copyright problems even when I own the rights
    I too have had copyright notices occasionally when doing some street recording and perhaps a band is passing by or a disco is playing in the distance, however, I have just left it and till now none of my videos or sound tracks have been removed.

In You Tube, If you open your Video Manager then (on the left of my screen) you should see 'Create' low down on the showing list. Click on this and you will see the Audio Library.. Lots of music of all types and styles. Many are totally free to use as you wish and some you will need to give a credit line as explained.

Hope this helps. Wynn