Thread: Welding Competition Video

1. Default Welding Competition Video

I was invited to film a Welding Competition. So I took two trips out to Huntsville for the semi-finals and the finals. There is some loud handling noise during the contestant intros that were filmed with a GoPro before i arrived, which I'm not happy with. I probably should have reviewed this footage before I left. Also screwed up the money shot at the end. Basically I was tied to a wired boom mic, using a prime lens, so I could not back up for a wider shot, and missed the focus on the winner. So I did what I could at the end to mask the error. Let me know if you spot other things that could be improved, really appreciate it..

Equipment I used:
    Blackmagic Cinema Camera for interviews
    Panasonic G7 w/ 42.5mm 1.7 Lens
    Panasonic HC-V750 Camcorder
    Zhiyun Crane
    Sennheiser EW100ENG body mics for interviews
    Rode Videomic Pro

Blog Entries

I enjoyed that, Sharkie. It was well constructed, though it did lack some of the shots that make it clear what stage of the proceedings we are watching- for example it jumps suddenly from what is presumably judges examining the work to what appears to be halfway through (though I think it's only a few seconds into) the lady announcing the three finalists. Perhaps some captions could help make up for the missing shots?
    I'm not usually a fan of glitch footage effects, especially when it is over key information, but in this case I quite liked it.

On the downside, I didn't get distracted by any handling noise as I was too busy struggling to hear the interviewees over the intrusive music. This is in common with most national TV productions here in the UK so you will no doubt go far.

The other main distraction was the obvious differences in cameras used. i don't know about others but that was one thing that shouted "amateur footage" to me.

But it kept me watching and I was surprised that the 7mins + flew buy so quickly - so a good job.
    Tim

3. Default

Tim as always, appreciate the feedback. One question regarding your comment about the footage matching and different cameras. Was it more of a quality difference that jumps out at you, or simply color matching...? I would say 85% of the shots are from the G7, the BMCC covered the interviews and maybe 2 quick BRoll shots. The camcorder was used for some of the welding closeup shots, and the top 3 winner announcement, which was admittedly the worse looking shot of this video, I didn't have my G7 on this trip, and didn't have time to setup the BMCC, regrettably.

When I look at the footage, I obviously notice the all the shots I feel don't match, and painstakingly tried to smooth out, but curious how or what you or anyone else sees when they watch for the first time.

Thanks again...

Mike.

Blog Entries

Hi Sharkie. It's probably a combination of both, moreso sharpness and contrast than colour matching. I'm fairly immune to colour mis-matches whereas others find that more of a problem than contrast. Each to their own. I am forever arguing with my wife - I hate any part of an image to be blown out and will always settle for a dark image in preference - she's the reverse, accepting noise and blown out parts in order to get a brighter image.

I feel your pain in trying to match shots. I have two identical cameras (Canon XF100) set to the same colour temperature, filming the same stage on the same night and still have problems matching colours if the iris is set differently. Always learning ....
    Tim