Thread: Editing a concert video from multiple sources

Default Editing a concert video from multiple sources

hi!

I hope the title makes sense, but here's the background;
    I'm pretty rookie in editing(as in filming too,heh), and I got this commission to shoot this a little "lower budget" concert video. Well ahem, I studied concert videos, made "storyboards" and so on, then me and my mighty team shot the concert with 3 minidv-cameras, and... now it's time to edit it!
    I have been given an powerful pc with adobe premier pro to my use, and... it's been years since I last edited with any of those premiers!>_<
    so,

I have been reading the tutorial/s here and there, but what I'm really wondering, is how you should begin editing when you have the same material from three different sources? I mean, how is it possible? I'm at loss, so any tips&hints are appreciated, as tutorial links too I'm the studying type, thanks!

Blog Entries

Premiere isn't the easiest of software to use in a multi-camera environment. The easiest way to do this in premiere is to start by synching up all the videos in 3 seperate layers. You can then "peel" away the layers to reveal the video underneath.

Start with what you consider to be your main cam in layer 3, then in layer 2 and 1 place the "cutaway" cams. When you want to cut to a second or third camera, simply razor video layer 1 (and perhaps 2) then move the new in point of the clip to reveal the clip underneath.

To see all 3 clips at once wilst you're doing this, drop one of the PIP presets onto each of the clips so that you end up with videos in seperate corners. You can then switch between the cams as above, then when your finished take out the PIP effect.

ah, thank you! This really helps! *until 5-minutes later: "um, I got his new problem..." * - just teasing^^

Blog Entries

It's not a problem if we've got an answer

did you record the 3 cams at the same time and not pause the tape as long as the concert run ?? if you did this....it's more easier to edit.....

yeh...the person above says it all...if you have run with out NO pause then you should be able to sync the time code and peel

Quote Originally Posted by rendyka
    did you record the 3 cams at the same time and not pause the tape as long as the concert run ?? if you did this....it's more easier to edit.....
    well, cough cough, the cameras didn't begin to record at the same time, but editing them to begin at the same time hasn't been that bad as I first imagined^^;
    But I still haven't edited the last bands from the both days. Both of them had so much extra that we had to - yes -pause the recording at different times in order to change a new cassette, well, as long as it's not impossible

And of course I have a question to ask too.

I haven't really figured out how to fix it, but the third cam's video image size is smaller than of the two others-->720x480(!) ,while the others are 720x576. Could this have something to do with the third cam being a ntsc-standard camera? - uh, I remember just talking then about putting it to pal-mode. Do you have any idea how I could get all those videos to same size? I don't mind re-capturing or anything, since the project-files are the ones that matter, as long as this isn't something impossible - this seems to be my video editing motto "as long as it's not impossible"

In case someone wonders why on earth one of the cameras was a ntsc-camera(instead of 3 pal-cameras), well, just at the last minute we noticed that one of the cameras was a wrong kind of one - yeah, just my luck, but luckily one guy from a mexican band borrowed his cam to us^^b

Blog Entries

Not only is it a different frame size, it's also a different frame rate (30fps compared to the 25fps of the PAL cams). If I were you I'd convert the footage to PAL first.

Puremotion do a "cheap" PAL/NTSC convertor for 109 (I say cheap as you should see how much these things go up to!). Alternatively you could do it the poor mans way and import the footage into VirtualDub, then export as DV AVI (PAL) using frame rate reduction and resize filters.

Not ideal, but I've a feeling Premiere won't let you mix PAL and NTSC in one project.