Thread: Compress video to a certain file size?

Question Compress video to a certain file size?

I have a 6-minute uncompressed VHS capture.

It's currently 1.10 GB (6m 55s) and I'd like to compress it to around 20-25 MB.

I know it will be poor quality but I was wondering if it can be done?

Freemake Video Converter lets you choose a video output size but you can't enter custom size, you have to choose from it's recommended minimum, upward.

You should be able to get a file size like that -- but it's not going to look good!

Open your file in Virtualdub, select the x.264 vfw codec from the 'Compression' option in the 'Video' drop down menu and - in the configuration setting - select 'Single pass - bitrate based (ABR)'. Then set the Average bitrate setting to around 500 kbits/s.

That should give you a file size within the range you're looking for.

(You will need to encode the audio as well - the linear PCM audio stream in your 'uncompressed' file will be a large file, which you can educe by a factor of 8 or 10, by encoding as an AAC audio file)

As I say, this is going to look pretty bad. .... Try a small test clip from your file at different bitrates - (say 750kb or 1000kb or 1500kb) to see if the extra file size shows a significant imprevement in performance.
    There will probably be a 'sweet spot' within that range to give you best compromise between file size and a drop in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by rogs View Post
    You should be able to get a file size like that -- but it's not going to look good!

Open your file in Virtualdub, select the x.264 vfw codec from the 'Compression' option in the 'Video' drop down menu and - in the configuration setting - select 'Single pass - bitrate based (ABR)'. Then set the Average bitrate setting to around 500 kbits/s.

That should give you a file size within the range you're looking for.

(You will need to encode the audio as well - the linear PCM audio stream in your 'uncompressed' file will be a large file, which you can educe by a factor of 8 or 10, by encoding as an AAC audio file)

As I say, this is going to look pretty bad. .... Try a small test clip from your file at different bitrates - (say 750kb or 1000kb or 1500kb) to see if the extra file size shows a significant imprevement in performance.
    There will probably be a 'sweet spot' within that range to give you best compromise between file size and a drop in quality.
    Fantastic!

Thank you, once again!