Thread: Editing software

Default Editing software

Hi, I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice. I'm a wedding photographer that shoots the odd video in my spare time, nothing serious, just of my kids etc. A full frame canon dslr is my weapon of choice as I already have it for photography.

I would like to take my videography further and maybe venture into weddings in the future. I'm already familiar with the wedding environment and have a good friend who's a wedding photographer that said I can accompany him to weddings to get experience.

As I've not taken this seriously in the past I haven't bothered with any editing software I've just messed around with movie maker. I know that I now need to invest in something better so this is what has brought me here. I only want to buy once, meaning I don't want to buy something basic them as I progress have to upgrade to something different. On the other hand I don't really want to jump in head first and spend 600 in case I decide it's not for me after 6 months.

Can somebody please recommend some editing software that is capable, but maybe not the highest end of the price range.

Thanks

2. Default

I hear Davinci Resolve has a free version of the editor that's pretty good. I don't know the specs or limitations, but you might want to look at that.

AFAIK, all the pros I know and even in my own training, everyone is on Adobe Premiere.

I am currently using Cyberlink Power Director. While it is not as smooth and well-built as Premiere, it has most of the day-to-day features and comes with an arsenal of decent plugins that you would have to buy separately in the Premiere ecosystem. It crashes sometimes (although I mostly blame my outdated video drivers), and starts jamming on bigger projects (anything with too many layers, or beyond 5-7 minutes).

Most of my work is either videos under 5 minutes, or simple cuts of longer videos. For that kind of stuff it works well enough. The longest thing I did was a wedding video about 20 minutes long, and it handled that edit with about 5 crashes (save often!).

I know that's not a glaring recommendation. However, look at the features: built in denoisers, stabilizer, layer blending, modest color correction, dozens of usable effects, lens correction. My workflow with this thing is usually very fast (when not crashing too much) and I seldom run into something the thing won't do for me (biggest thing is probably lack of LUT support without their addon). I also started editing 4K and it does that without issues.

Blog Entries

If you're on Windows, take a look at Magix Movie Studio or its professional big brother Vegas Pro. Movie Studio will probably do most of all you want anyway but you can progress to Vegas Pro if you get on with it (same engine/similar interface etc). I believe both are available as 30 day fully functional trials.

HitFilm Express has some reasonable editing capability and is free.

DaVinci Resolve, as jochicago says, is pretty good and there is a free version. However it does require a bit of learning and a beefy computer.

If you go with Premiere, this is only available now on subscription - this could be good if you do decide it's not for you after 6 months.
    Tim

4. Lightbulb Free video editing

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    HitFilm Express has some reasonable editing capability and is free.

DaVinci Resolve, as jochicago says, is pretty good and there is a free version. However it does require a bit of learning and a beefy computer.
    Two great choices for the best free video editing products

There is also Fusion, KdenLive and Lightworks, Natron and OpenShot - all edit but also have add-ons to do different things...
    Brian Alves

Listen to the new podcast
    for DV creators- The DV Show!
    http://www.thedvshow.com