Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Digital video formats that can be cut by a single frame?

Quote Originally Posted by King Mustard View Post
    I've opened the file in VirtualDub FilterMod v16 Update 4, set both Video and Audio to 'Direct stream copy' and set the start/end points.

When I go to 'Save as...' and click Save, I get:

"The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with this video stream."

Any ideas?
    I haven't had much to do with this new Virtualdub FilterMod --I just assumed it was an all 'singing and dancing' version of the old one?....clearly not.

If you use the most recent version of Virtualdub itself - that is THIS ONE you should be able to do what you described OK.

One of the limitations of the 'real' Vdub is that you can only export as .AVI files - which is OK for HQX working files of course, but not so good for final presentation - and much smaller - x.264 .mp4 files

My work flow - (which give me the most compatible mp4 files which play well on my computer (with all players) - plus on my WD Live media player - and my Panasonic DVR box) - is obtained by doing this:

Capture files using HQX
    Open in Vdub and clip as required.
    Save the audio file from this edited file by using 'Save WAV' from the drop down file menu in Virttualdub
    Convert the edited video file using the x.264 VFW codec in Virtualdub, and export as an .AVI file - with no audio -
    Convert the saved WAV file to AAC audio using the free audio encoder Free:ac
    Demux the x.264 file using MP4BoxGUI and save the .264 video file
    Mux the .h264 video file with the new AAC audio file and save as a .mp4

OK, it's fiddly but it works well....

It may be possible to achieve the same thing within this new VurtualdubFilterMod version, but I haven't been able to do it so far....at least not create an mp4 that is very compatible...
    Last edited by rogs; 07-25-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Further to above posts ---- there is a new release of Virtualdub Filter Mod here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/VirtualDub-FilterMod which addresses the problem of direct stream copy with HQX files ( and others)....

Seems to work OK now.....

Quote Originally Posted by rogs View Post
    Further to above posts ---- there is a new release of Virtualdub Filter Mod here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/VirtualDub-FilterMod which addresses the problem of direct stream copy with HQX files ( and others)....

Seems to work OK now.....
    That appears to have fixed the issue, boom!

Glad I could help...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123