Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BM Pocket or camcorder?

Default BM Pocket or camcorder?

Want to buy new camera (1000) for making documentary (indoor /outdoor ) and travel videos..really not sure what is better
    solution..There are pro but also cons for Pocket camera which make me worry..any taughts please..?

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

This answer depends on so much that it's hard to give a good answer based on your description.
    Are you looking at a way of making money or are you just cataloguing your own life for yourself, friends and family?
    Do you care about sound quality?
    Do you care about 4K resolution?
    Is consecutive recording time an issue?
    Do you also need it to take photographs?
    Will you take a lot of handheld/moving shots?
    Is 1000 your budget for the camera only or will that also have to incorporate other items needed for making a documentary (e.g. external microphone, film storage, swappable lenses)

All in all 1000 will get you a really nice HD camcorder if you only plan to make video's.

--In addition--
    Although you can get the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema for around 1000 you'll need to spend more on accessories to make it into a usable field camera. You'll likely spend 1500 before it's doing you any good and you really have to want to use the CinemaRAW that bad to justify the purchase in my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Grapes; 06-18-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

All good questions/advice from Grapes. Very soon after you begin making your documentaries you'll begin to realise the camera is but one part of what is required.
    I agree with Grapes, your best bet is to spend your money on a decent camcorder (and a digital audio recorder and/or external mic, and /or tripod/monopod).
    Whilst this may not give you the "film look" that seems to be the holy grail for many aspiring film makers it will give you something that is usable in most situations. You will read a lot about needing to use manual settings to get great shots and this is true. However, especially in documentary, it is also important to have a camera that is ready to shoot NOW and it is here a camcorder, easily accessible, set to auto everything wind every time. Why do we see rubbish (and less rubbish) amateur cellphone footage on Network TV? Because their cameras are ready to use.

If the above suggests you can't get excellent footage from a camcorder, that is far from the truth. Get a camcorder with a good set of manual features as well as auto-everything and you should be able to get some stunning shots.

Aim for something that has a mic input and headphones out (this may well limit the choices available)
    Tim

Grapes &TimStanndard thanks both of you for your thoughts and advices,that's was helpful..my first idea was to find some good camcorder with some
    manual settings but then I get suggestions about BM Pocket camera.yes that idea sound good in the beginning because camera was small and easy to carry around with good performance too.and yes I was aware that need to buy lenses too..but all those cons which I found on forums let me think again and ask for your opinion..I think they are right who say that next generation of BM pocket camera release is going to be perfect..
    Hmm still looking for something,tnx again for your directions..when I narrow my choice of camcorders I be back for your opinion..

In the meantime I be open and thankful for any suggestions..For me it's quite stressful choosing the camera because they bombing you with
    choices and specs and after few review get lost...

Quote Originally Posted by nebi7 View Post
    Grapes &TimStanndard thanks both of you for your thoughts and advices,that's was helpful..my first idea was to find some good camcorder with some
    manual settings but then I get suggestions about BM Pocket camera.yes that idea sound good in the beginning because camera was small and easy to carry around with good performance too.and yes I was aware that need to buy lenses too..but all those cons which I found on forums let me think again and ask for your opinion..I think they are right who say that next generation of BM pocket camera release is going to be perfect..
    Hmm still looking for something,tnx again for your directions..when I narrow my choice of camcorders I be back for your opinion..

Yeah that always happens. I'm curious what people coin as downsides to the BM Pocket besides that which I picked at. I also wonder what the next version will bring in that regard. I wouldn't mind an upgrade from my current gear (that's something that i fear will never change though) and the BM stuff seems more affordable nowadays and I would love to film in RAW myself. You could always opt for a second hand BM Pocket by the way. That can probably save you 50% in the price which you can put aside for an upgrade in the future.

Generally the better Camcorders come from Sony, JVC and Panasonic as far as my knowledge goes. I'm a DSL filmer though and thus know little about the details of camcorder world.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Generally the better Camcorders come from Sony, JVC and Panasonic as far as my knowledge goes. I'm a DSL filmer though and thus know little about the details of camcorder world.
    You forgot Canon
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You forgot Canon
    Ah, I always imagined them more as a photography oriented company like Nikon so honestly didn't think they even made those .

Ok i find something interesting..GH4 !! Now at discounted price is possible to get for about 700/800$..Most important part for me is taking video ..
    So please any toughts about this..I was looking camcorders but...

Quote Originally Posted by nebi7 View Post
    Ok i find something interesting..GH4 !! Now at discounted price is possible to get for about 700/800$..Most important part for me is taking video ..
    So please any toughts about this..I was looking camcorders but...

Of course this is only body,no lenses..additionally if I buy that camera I will look for some zoom objective..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast