Thread: Virtual Background for Musician Video

Default Virtual Background for Musician Video

Hi All,
    I am new to this forum. I have one a question regarding Backdrops/Backgrounds. I have one musician friend and he likes to add virtual background on his music playing videos for youtube. I know one way is to buy photography background paper to accomplish it. Is there any way to add digital backdrops to music videos while he plays.Please help me out.
    thanks
    Raj

The answer is very probably "Yes" but unfortunately I'm not quite sure what it is exactly what you are trying to achieve.
    The cats are watching us...

Blog Entries

To expand on Grapes implied question.
    Are you looking for some way of adding digital (moving?) backdrops for live gigs?
    Do you want to film him in front of a digital (moving?) backdrop to make a video?
    Do you want to film him and the superimpose his image over a digital (moving) image that you have filmed/created yourself/downloaded/purchased from someone else?

What tools/experience do you have at your disposal?
    Tim

yes this is what you said in your reply.
    I want to film him in front of a digital (moving?) backdrop to make a video. Please let me know what I need to achieve it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mctxp View Post
    I want to film him in front of a digital (moving?) backdrop to make a video. Please let me know what I need to achieve it.
    OK. So what do you want on the backdrop? (What types of images?)
    This will requires some sort of screen (eg a massive LED screen) or a back projected screen behind your talent.
    Is it necessary to film the musician and the backdrop at the same time?
    It would be easier (and more flexible) to film him against a green screen and substitute the green for your backdrop image in editing.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    To expand on Grapes implied question.
    Are you looking for some way of adding digital (moving?) backdrops for live gigs?
    Do you want to film him in front of a digital (moving?) backdrop to make a video?
    Do you want to film him and the superimpose his image over a digital (moving) image that you have filmed/created yourself/downloaded/purchased from someone else?

What tools/experience do you have at your disposal?
    You read my mind

Personally I would film him against a greenscreen, key it away in post production so you end up with just him, then move in the background you like. That's probably easier/cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    OK. So what do you want on the backdrop? (What types of images?)
    This will requires some sort of screen (eg a massive LED screen) or a back projected screen behind your talent.
    Is it necessary to film the musician and the backdrop at the same time?
    It would be easier (and more flexible) to film him against a green screen and substitute the green for your backdrop image in editing.
    Thanks for reply. For Back projected screen, what equipment I need? And for green screen scenario, what software I need to edit it? Waiting for your reply.
    Thanks again,

Thanks for reply. For Back projected screen, what equipment I need? And for green screen scenario, what software I need to edit it? Waiting for your reply.
    Thanks again,
    Back projected screen can be made from shower curtain but you obviously need a projector. There's limitations to the size etc. and you'll have your main camera filming in dim light which might cause a lot of "noise" (similar to film grain) when filming with low light. Also when you put a light on your subject it may make the back projected screen look less bright if you're overdoing it. Anyway just search "DIY back projected screen" like I did. I found this guy as one of the first results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4juH3bZMuQ

For a green screen you need... a green (or blue) screen and lights... Software is up to choice. If you have no software currently installed that can do it and have no knowledge you may want to outsource that part to a freelancer though. I use After Effects for nearly everything these days and there is plenty of tutorials for all sorts of cool things you can do with After Effects.

With After Effects and a bit of skill you can change most backgrounds if your subject is in sharp contrast to it. Just search the web for tips on it.
    Last edited by Grapes; 06-18-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Just to add to Grapes sound advice, After Effects is pricey (unless you are eligible for student discount) so you may like to look at HitFilm Express 2017 which is free for both Mac and PC and has plenty of Green Screen (ChromaKey) capability. Whatever you use, expect to spend some time learning and experimenting.
    Tim