Thread: vegas video capture and edit problems

Default vegas video capture and edit problems

Hi, this is my first post, I hope someone can help.
    First off. I have a problem with capturing from an analogue source. I use Vegas 5 (and 6). When I select all of the correct options (composite video / s video) etc and then try to change my capture resolution to 720 x 5 (sorry can't remember exact size), but the picture seems to crash - the capturing still works fine but on a 149gb hard drive, it only allows me to record 1hr 29 mins of video. On a previous machine 1 hr of video is normally round about the 20 gb size. I have tried changing the settings from the default setting which does seem to give me longer record time (it always crashes once I have completed the capture but as long as i reboot, the video file is still there), but when I come to import the captured video into the timeline, it only shows the audio and no video even tho when i play the clip in media player it's fine. Please can someone help.
    Finally, somebody mentioned in this forum that if you copy an unprotected VOB file to your hard drive then rename the extension as mpeg instead of VOB then you can edit it within the Vegas time line. Every time I do this, the video part is there, but it won't show or play the audio (even tho when I play the clip in media player both video and audio are there). I'm guessing that this is something to do with the audio being part of the video file but does anyone know how I can fix it?
    Thank you for your time.
    Wills

With my experiences the capture tae is 1min = 220-250Mb
    Now Part of your problem is thta u are capturing one huge clip and by the sounds of it your machine cant hack it.
    Its unwise to capture such a long clip in one go. - The absolute max length of clip i ever go for is 20 mins. So capture the first 20 mins and let it go on an extra min, then with ur next clip rewind by a min and capture the next 20 mins. You camn then re sync it in vegas.

As for the VOB thing its down to audio codecs. There is a guide in the forums.

Hi,
    Thanks for that. I'll have a read about the audio codecs. You mentioned that my problem is with capturing longer clips - it doesn't matter if I record a minutes worth or an hours worth, my pc still gives an error message when I record at anything other than 320x whatever the number is. On other machines I have had an hour long avi file recorded at 720 x 5something and is about 15gb (as you would expect with approx 220-250mb per minute) but for some reason use about a gb per minute or so.
    Does anyone else have any ideas?
    Cheers
    Wills

Hi,
    Thanks for that. I'll have a read about the audio codecs. You mentioned that my problem is with capturing longer clips - it doesn't matter if I record a minutes worth or an hours worth, my pc still gives an error message when I record at anything other than 320x whatever the number is. On other machines I have had an hour long avi file recorded at 720 x 5something and is about 15gb (as you would expect with approx 220-250mb per minute) but for some reason use about a gb per minute or so.
    Does anyone else have any ideas?
    Cheers
    Wills