Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Critique needed! 2-minute production

  1. #1

    Exclamation Critique needed! 2-minute production

    Looking for critiques on a video I did for a workshop this weekend. It was my first time doing such a vast storyboard. I'm used to news journalism, so this was very much outside my comfort zone. All feedback is welcome!

    Video project: "Excuse Me"

    It's also up for a competition, so if you like the video and want to help me out, please feel free to like and/or comment!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,812
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I thought the intro sequence was overlong and pretty much unnecessary. After the title, though, the pace picked up and just about every shot was important. A nice story, told simply with appropriate music. Good selection of shots and snappy editing. Well done.
    Tim

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I thought the intro sequence was overlong and pretty much unnecessary. After the title, though, the pace picked up and just about every shot was important. A nice story, told simply with appropriate music. Good selection of shots and snappy editing. Well done.
    Thank you for this! When we were initially storyboarding we wanted to use the beginning to tie back at the end, but now I can understand why the whole "getting ready" sequence could be cut completely. We were given a 2-minute minimum requirement... what would you recommend we futz with to still keep the video within that limit?

    The only critique our judges gave us were:
    1. They didn't like the black interludes
    2. Seek professional help (LOL!)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,812
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinapplegum View Post
    We were given a 2-minute minimum requirement... what would you recommend we futz with to still keep the video within that limit?
    I wouldn't. Either make a story that requires a minimum of 2 minutes or create this film the length it needs to be and sod the competition. Too many films/TV programmes are the wrong length simply because they are forced to fit into TV schedules. One of the priviledges of being an amateur is I do not have to force my films to conform to anything.
    Tim

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I wouldn't. Either make a story that requires a minimum of 2 minutes or create this film the length it needs to be and sod the competition. Too many films/TV programmes are the wrong length simply because they are forced to fit into TV schedules. One of the priviledges of being an amateur is I do not have to force my films to conform to anything.

    Fair enough! I agree with this, but I also wanted to win (we won "Honorable Mention" in the lighting category). I really should have focused more on making the best possible video with what I've learned rather than fitting a time requirement.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,812
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinapplegum View Post
    I agree with this, but I also wanted to win .
    Despite what I said above, there's nothing wrong with that! I'm mean to be getting involved witha 48hour challenge at the end of next month. Totally false and well out of my own comfort zone (I tend to spend far too long making films). I'm not in the slightest bothered about winning, but I am looking forward to it challenging me to work in a different way from usual. I suspect if I was to ask myself what I'd do to improve the film after we make it, my answer will be "everything"!
    Tim

  7. #7

    Default

    errrr if it appeared on my news feed i probably wouldnt watch it, quality was nice though....

    love the badges on the roof of the car, never seen that done b4, must have take a while lol
    For short amusing clips, check out my channel.......... Click HERE

    please feel free to subscribe and share before the kids kill each other lmao

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bry_man View Post
    errrr if it appeared on my news feed i probably wouldnt watch it, quality was nice though....

    love the badges on the roof of the car, never seen that done b4, must have take a while lol
    Oh yeah, the buttons on the roof were entirely the work of the owner (creepy killer) and his family.

    Should we add subtitles to make it more interesting for FB viewers?

  9. #9

    Default

    im not sure what you mean by the subtitles... the amount of "shared vids" i see in my time line i rarely watch them... unless the caption grabs me then i might...im not sure what market you'd be aiming at...if your battery has died on ur phone by 10.15 then i think you need a replacement....
    For short amusing clips, check out my channel.......... Click HERE

    please feel free to subscribe and share before the kids kill each other lmao

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bry_man View Post
    im not sure what you mean by the subtitles... the amount of "shared vids" i see in my time line i rarely watch them... unless the caption grabs me then i might...im not sure what market you'd be aiming at...if your battery has died on ur phone by 10.15 then i think you need a replacement....
    Haha yeah I'm glad you noticed the time! We wanted the excuse to be early in the morning so we could connect it with him getting ready for the day and coffee still being a viable excuse.

    By "subtitles" I mean most people don't turn on the audio when they're scrolling through videos on their cell phones. It might appeal to the general cellular audience more if we CC'd it. What do you think? Also, any suggestions on a caption or title that WOULD grab the eye right-away?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2015, 02:20 PM
  2. Paid - Experienced Hires Metro Productions, Production, Post-production Facilities
    By Smudger in forum The Job Market
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 04:27 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 12:49 AM
  4. Pre-Production and Post-Production examples
    By Lazymonkeygod in forum Wedding and Event Videography
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 05:52 PM
  5. Last minute advice needed lads !
    By Jim276825 in forum Forum Announcements and News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 06:05 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •