Thread: Handy little fire

Default Handy little fire

I have bit the bullet and bought a new computer... so this means i can now use different software, in this instance im using hit film express, (happy Tim??? lol) seeing as im used to using PE i find this a bit of a mind field, words like composite shot etc... anyway i find the tracking much easier and more effective so i may have to do my wolverine again.... this is my second attempt, but the 1st time on you tube.....
    here it is...
    https://youtu.be/-Dqny1Si2kw
    For short amusing clips, check out my channel.......... Click HERE

please feel free to subscribe and share before the kids kill each other lmao

Blog Entries

Nice one.
    What dd you use for the fire - an overlay? Try using different blend modes - in particular "screen" and "add" if you haven't.
    Not sure if Express has it, but if the fire has black i it, you can use the demult effect to remove some of that and hopefully make the edges a bit less harsh. (This is from what i've seen. I haven't played with fire myself - my parents always told me not to)
    Tim

i used a fire under the category bonfires.... then altered the size etc... i shall look into this harshness thing to see what you are on about
    For short amusing clips, check out my channel.......... Click HERE

please feel free to subscribe and share before the kids kill each other lmao

Blog Entries

Definitely try add and screen as bled modes for the fire.

Another area for improvement is the smoke It's not too obvious here as there is little movement, but if you move the fire, the whole fire and smoke move as one. For smoke, where each particle lasts much longer than a flame, you need the source of the smoke to move with the fire, not the whole image of the smoke.

For this, turn off the smoke from the bonfire effects. Use a "missile smoke" effect and rather than parent it to the point you've tracked, under "General" select "attach to layer" and select the tracking point layer.

Of course, really the flames should do the same, but you'd need the "Pro" version for that. Ditto Particles.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-21-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    Tim