Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 simple Editing questions!

Default 2 simple Editing questions!

Ok, just two easy questions, firstly:
    1. How do u make a person talk and when the camera snaps to another person looking at the person whsoe talking while the person is still talking... confused?
    Like how do you make the persons voice stay talking while there is a differnet scene?

2. I am making a basketba movie and I want to make the person go up for a dunk, freeze in mid air, make the guys head turn around wink at the camrea while everything else is frozen, then unfreeze.

Any help would be good
    Thnx

Blog Entries

Default Re: 2 simple Editing questions!

Quote Originally Posted by tristo123
    How do you make the persons voice stay talking while there is a differnet scene?
    One of the fundamentals of video editing. Unlink the audio and video of the first and second clip. Delete the audio of the second and extend the audio of the first.

I am making a basketba movie and I want to make the person go up for a dunk, freeze in mid air, make the guys head turn around wink at the camrea while everything else is frozen, then unfreeze.
    I'd aim for a more achievable effect if I were you...

Default 2 simple Editing questions!

To answer your first question, the technique you use is called Insert Editing. It can be seen every time you watch someone being interviewed on the news. It shows a person talking to the interviewer and then we see a shot of what they are talking about. You can still hear their voice but see different pictures. What I would do is shoot your friend talking and when he/she is done, stop the camera and then film your other friend 'reacting' to the first person. In editing, unlink the audio and video of the first scene and same with the second. Then split the video track of clip one, say halfways along and discard the second half of it. Now split the second video track in two and take part of it and put it beside the first video clip. You should now have two video clips beside one another and a single audio clip. Play the whole thing back to see if it does the trick.
    With the second question, it will all have to be done in separate shots and effects like freeze framing are best done in post production. Try the first and let us know how you get on.

Default yeeow

Yeah, thanks heaps for ur help Nikosony, i just did the audio inserting thing, worked like a charm. Marc Peters, ur an idiot. Nikosony and what softawre wuld u do to get the freeze framing shiznit, would it be adobe after effects?

Blog Entries

Default Re: yeeow

Marc Peters, ur an idiot.
    Excuse me?

Default A solution or 2?

I don't think you're an idiot Marc, I can see exactly where you are coming from.

The two questions asked indicate a lack of experience in editing, the first question being ridiculously easy to solve, and the second a fairly advanced technique. Marc was fairly astute in picking this, and I believe helpful.

If you are seriously planning to attempt the 2nd question, I would suggest one of the following...

SOLVE 1 (cleaner, marginally more difficult)
    Wide shot, curves in and leaves the ground for the shot.
    Follwed by a CU of the head turning and winking in front of a blue screen, the background later inserted / replaced with the approaching hoop, or approaching to paused hoop.

SOLVE 2 (sloppier, but depends on the use)
    Deep etch a head swivelled and winking, use a paused frame, and overlay the head, in a South Park stylish effect. Would come across as cheap, yet comical.

SOLVE 3 (most difficult, most realistic)
    Chromakey the effect, and track matte, compositing the new head on the moving body. I wouldn't attempt it if you are new. There is a lot more to it.

Hope this helps, and please don't encourage arguments on the site. This is a site for budding professionals, and a short fuse is clearly a demonstration of the opposite.

Oi tristo123

It is not wise to insult the owner and main moderator of this site.
    Marc always, always gives advice!!! If you actually read it properly you will see it is fundamentally the same advice as Nikosony's advice just less detailed.

You dont go around insulting people's advice unless it is just plain wrong. Even then some diplomacy is always called for. If anyone is an idiot, well I think we all know who it is dont we!!!

Keep up the good work Marc.

Here here!

Slagging off someone who actually answered the question 100% correctly is way over the top as far as I'm concerned. Given that the question is on par with "how do I breath again" for anyone who's actually bothered to read the manual that came with their s/w I think you were helped far more than you actually deserved.

But I think therein is the problem. I'll bet you have no manual and you are using a warez copy of your s/w.

I vote this disk-head has his account (and then testicles) removed!

Default Re: yeeow

Yeah, thanks heaps for ur help Nikosony, i just did the audio inserting thing, worked like a charm. Marc Peters, ur an idiot. Nikosony and what softawre wuld u do to get the freeze framing shiznit, would it be adobe after effects?
    What a spectacularly hilarious example of how to get people to help you!

*belms*

(finger over the delete user button)

shut up u nerds sitting behind ur daddy's computer in Bankstown trying to be intellectual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast