Thread: Video making

Default Video making

Hi there,
    I donít have much experience in video making. I like creating movies and I used to do it as a hobby. I own a small cake shop in Toronto. I have heard that online marketing with video can increase the brand popularity. I am planning to make my own video for the shop (I hope that it works). Otherwise, I would have to approach some production companies. Can you suggest some ideas for making a good video for my shop? I am thinking of focusing more on the yummy cake images and the pictures of my shop for the video. I am thinking of renting a camera and the other equipment needed for this, what pixel camera is best for making the video. Which software would you recommend to do the editing and other works?

Quote Originally Posted by KristryJoh View Post
    Can you suggest some ideas for making a good video for my shop? I am thinking of focusing more on the yummy cake images
    extreme close ups, so you can almost see the texture and almost imagine eating it as the cream etc comes oozing out

Quote Originally Posted by KristryJoh View Post
    I am thinking of renting a camera and the other equipment needed for this, what pixel camera is best for making the video

as many as possible tbh, therefor if you go with the zooming in idea you wont loose the quality of picture, as for the equipment, you would want a tripod there is nothing worse than a wobbly camera, especially if you zoom in.... and I think lighting would be a key thing aim at the cake in question....

I'm hungry now :( lol

hth in some small way

3. Default

Hi KristryJoh,

Iím rather surprised that you havenít received more replies to your query on making a promo video for your cake shop. The first thing I did was to look on You Tube for such promos. Below are listed four for your interest and from those you should get some ideas. I add some brief comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vJNs1CD4go Very little human iterest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_3bzokh9fk This one is slightly better

Bethís Bakery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgQ7y6tCiU8 Quite good but we would love to see and hear from Beth.

Lauraís Bakery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj0eUh_V3MM Quite good but we would love to see and hear from Laura, or if itís not a real person, seeing and hearing from the proprietor.

To answer some of your points. You say that you are inexperienced in making videos so itís assumed you have a camera so you are set up there. As you have a camera dare we ask what it is? So long as itís a reasonably modern HD model you need look no further.

I really donít think you should consider renting advanced camera gear as it would cost a lot, then you would have to use it. BIG LEARNING CURVE. Try using what you have for a start. A tripod would be essential most would advise.

You donít mention what editing software you use at the moment and everyone will have their personal favourite programme so I wonít mention any at all. But even the most basic programmes supplied on computers will do what you need. 'Imovie' on a Mac or 'Windows Movie Maker' on a PC.

What I mentioned in my brief comments on the You Tube clips is the lack of human interest. I would really like to see the proprietor or perhaps the main cook etc. doing pieces to camera telling us what you do and how enthusiast you are about what you do and the wonderful service you give to your customers. In other words - Selling your shop and products to the viewers.

Yes, close-ups of your products Ė shots of the production and so on. A voice over would also add so much to your finished result, in addition to a human face selling your wares. That means of course writing a suitable bit of script to go with the pictures. If your voice is not suitable then find a friend to try it for you.

What you must be careful of is that your finished video is as good as possible, otherwise it will appear very amateurish and do you and you business no favours at all. Posh and expensive equipment wont necessarily make a good promo Ė itís the creative ideas that will make it. Of course you want to make it yourself but itís not as easy as it appears. Why not try finding a local club for video makers and discuss it with them and Iím sure you would find them very enthusiastic about you project. Do let us know how your thinking and the project progresses.
    Wynn

Blog Entries

I think Wynn has covered most bases - certainly in terms of what might make good content. It's people that people buy, not the goods (although obviously the goods have to be up to scratch)

Perceived wisdom is that as far as production goes, if you have a specific film to make it's far cheaper to get a company in that to learn to do this and buy/hire the gear yourself. It is true that a "reasonably modern HD camera" will do the job, but it all depends on working within that cameras limits - particularly when it comes to lighting.

Ensure there is movement in there - shots of cakes being made are good. Finished articles tend to be static (unless you are showing them being cut/eaten) so in these shots get some camera movement in there (consider a slider/dolly - handheld is really not on for this sort of shoot)
    Tim