Thread: My Voodoo Computer

Default My Voodoo Computer

Raging daemons posessed my office computer today. Last night it was working well, I surfed the net, I made a divx subtitle and just before I went to bed I did a virus scan and a spyware scan. Everything was fine. But when I woke up, got a cup of coffee and turned on the damn thing, it crashed while opening Winamp. I reset it (and waited patiently) then tried to jump in to my favourite forums (Videoforums.co.uk ) when I found that my list of Bookmarks in Firefox was gone. Gone, like no longer there! Hmmm. I remember being sober last night, I certainly didn't delete it... Later, I plug the PDA in its cradle to sync some emails. Surprise, surprise! "Cannot login". OK, let's restart the program. Still not working. Restart the computer. Nada. Check the POP settings of the email account - untouched. Try forwarding from another account. Nix. Create another account, just for test purposes. It works. Get back to the permanent one. Doesn't work!
    What the hell is going on here? Is it a virus? No, according to 3 antiviruses. My office has no windows, so I can't throw the computer away. Please advise.

Blog Entries

Can't help, but that sounds just damn right wierd...

I can help you out partially with the missing bookmarks problem. They are not missing you'll be pleased to know. Take a look here:

Document and Settings/{user}/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/{profile}/

In there you will find a bookmarks.bak and a bookmarks.html

The bookmarks.bak should contain all your bookmarks. Then just import them into Firefox
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Thanks, Lloyd. I found the files, and actually there are three of them: it's bookmarks.htm, bookmarks.bak and one with a funny extension, booksmarks.html.sbsd.bak.
    Then I tried to be a smart ass: since we're talking paranormal, I took a glance at the funny one, using Notepad. I was wrong. Then I backed-up the three files on the desktop and modified them in the original location, changing their extension to htm (one at a time) to see what happens. It happenned that every time I renamed one of those files and restarted Firefox, the Bookmarks list went empty. So I quit all hope and restored the files from the desktop and now I'm trying to build up the list of bookmarks again, googling what I can remember about those sites
    I know this may sound like I'm either stupid or drunk, which is not the case. I've had computers for more than a decade now and I'm not the type who buy a new system from K-Mart.
    But maybe this just isn't my day... I'm sorry... I have some problems with my family... whatever

Okay, there should a backup folder under the folders I talked about above too! Have you looked in there as Firefox should back up the bookmarks (and other info) every time it boots successfully (or is it when it closes down? Can't remember now).
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

I couldn't find anything of the kind... maybe you can remember what the folder is supposed to be named?

Lloyd