Thread: Why when I preview my camcorder footage is it in slow-motion

Default Why when I preview my camcorder footage is it in slow-motion

hi everone and thanks in advance for any help & advice.

I am trying to use Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator version 6 (I know its not the best sofware but it will do for what I want it for) to edit my home video footage. It copies from my camcorder fine and creates all the video clips, but when I preview the clips it plays them in slow-motion i.e. frame by frame with no sound. This also happens when I open a video cllip in windows media player. It did....a couple of times play back at the correct speed and with sound, but now it is always playing back slow.
    I have a new computer so I shouldn't have a problem with memory space etc.

I'm wondering if my computer is limiting it somehow? or capping the amount of space it can use?
    This isn't a big video file as I have just transfered about 10 minutes worth to have a play around with.

Cheers - help most appreciated!

what is your system spec?

Disc Drives - Maxtor 6B160P0
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    Memory - 512 MB RAM
    Video card - SiS 661FX
    Network Card - SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport

Not sure if that's all of it? let me know if more is needed....

Cheers.

I had exactly the same problem and sorted it by playing around with the codecs on my system. I install / uninstall lots of software as I like playing around with trials. I'm sure that something overwrote or sent a previous codec back in priority. I installed the K-Lite codec pack and all is well. I'm sure that some purists would frown at installing a codec pack like this but it did the job for me. I figured if it all went tits up I was only a fresh XP install from being back to normal anyway.

I'm no expert on these things. As I have everything backed up I just like to play around.

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    I installed the K-Lite codec pack and all is well. I'm sure that some purists would frown at installing a codec pack like this but
    I will take that in a positive way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    I installed the K-Lite codec pack and all is well. I'm sure that some purists would frown at installing a codec pack like this but
    The "problem" with codec packs is that they introduce quite a few variables into your system: it's hard to track down which codec is causing trouble for example. Great for people that don't want hassles as long as you don't have to troubleshoot a conflict .

You're taking it the right way my friend I value the advice you gave me regarding codecs.

I only installed it after running it through a host of spyware / adware detectors and as a last resort but it worked fine. In the back of my mind was one of your posts when you spoke about the benefits of a fresh install of the OS and I really bought into that. There's always a way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    The "problem" with codec packs is that they introduce quite a few variables into your system: it's hard to track down which codec is causing trouble for example. Great for people that don't want hassles as long as you don't have to troubleshoot a conflict .
    I know that if I installed a L-Lite codec pack I would end up with alot of conflicts that I wouldn't be confident in sorting out. It sounds llike this is the problem but I don''t know how to sort it without risking my computer going off on one. anymore advice??